1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup speed changed way too much

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by iarthur, Sep 20, 2004.

1. iarthur

iarthur Member

I started to have a problem with my burner after I burned 5 dvds. I erased the files and have defraged my machine a couple of times but the backup speed still says that it will take 20-30 hrs to backup a disc. It used to take 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to backup and burn. I have a Pentium 3 128 mb ram and 19GB hard drive.

Also I changed out my cd burner and put back in my dvd rom when I learned I could back up the discs with the rom drive and then automatically burn the discs with nero after they had uploaded and now when I restart the computer the rom drive does not show up. I went back and put the cd burner in and it shows up no problem however many times I shut down the machine.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

2. castun

castun Member

How much free space do you have left on your hard drive? Not sure what could slow down the backups that much, that's a pretty big increase.

But as for your DVD ROM problems try this:

If you've swapped out drives like that and the DVD drive doesn't work that you tried putting in, but the CD drive that's been in there does, double check the master/slave jumper on the rear of the DVD burner. If it's the only drive on the IDE cable, it should be set to 'Master.' If you have 2 optical drives on the same IDE cable one needs to be set up as a Master and the other as a Slave.

3. iarthur

iarthur Member

Thanks, that helped with the DVD Rom but does anyone have any suggestions about the backup time problem

Thanks,
    Ian