1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup vs Original Load Times?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by LordMiL, Oct 12, 2004.

1. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Hey all!
    Well after my successful install of a Matrix Infinity into my V3 PS2 last week, my suitemates and I have been putting it through the paces. As this PS2 is a refurbished model that is less than a year old, I wasn't sure what the quality of the laser would be.
    For all of our backups, we burned using Nero with an NEC burner on Ritek DVD-R's at 2x. (though the one we f'd up and did at 8x on accident works fine too)
    After testing a number of our originals vs backups, we've noticed that the backups take significantly longer to load at the beginning of the game. For example, if you pop in an original it takes only a couple seconds for the game to start up, where as backups take a while longer. However, once the backups are loaded, the games all run fine with no skipping, etc. except for Shadow Hearts Covenant which in around 5 hours of playing has frozen 3 times (but never in the same place)

Is this normal? Obviously it isn't causing me any real problems but I was wondering if I should recalibrate my laser (adjust the pots) or anything? Or is it normal for backups to take longer to load than originals?

I really just need this thing to hold out another couple months til I get a network adapter and nice sized HD in there, then I won't have to worry about the laser ever again :)

2. 2005

2005 Regular member

Well you may just have gotten a bad burn on the game that keeps freezing, and its best to read and write the games at 1x. I too have noticed that the backups take a little longer to boot but not enough to annoy me or even enough for me to worry, my only guess is that whatevers in the chip that fools the machine into thinking its a original disk holds it up just a bit.

3. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

The chip plays no part in the game loading after the initial boot sequence.

Your problem is media. If you can afford the experiment, buy a few DVDR singles and burn the same game on them and time the loading. The fastest wins and you'll know what brand to buy from now on. Or....you can just research various tests performed regarding data access speeds per media brand - they are out there.

BTW - on my machine, backups load ~15% faster than originals, go figure!