1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Warcraft III securom *new*

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by duffdawg, Jan 7, 2005.

1. duffdawg

duffdawg Member

I got my son Warcraft III (W3) and the Frozen Throne expansion recently. It has been great!! Beats the crap out of what I grew up playing (lol). We have been on-line etc. I would like to make a copy of the play rom for (W3) so we can play on the LAN I have in the house. I have searched the threads and tried these instructions:

afterdawn.com / forums / cd-r / how to backup securom 4.8.3 with clonecd\twinpeak tool /

All was going well until I tried to get the twinpeak tool, broken link??? Can anyone help me get that tool so I can continue on my way with those instructions or maybe even reccomend an updated, if there is, way I can accomplish what I am trying to do. I know our (W3) was Securom *new* according to ClonyXXL. I have CloneCD, BlindWrite (trial) and Nero to have at it.

Thanks in advance!! Hope I can get this figured this weekend so I can play in a game and get my but kicked most likely.

DuffDawg

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hiya,

It looks like we're up against SecuROM 4.84.68.6354 so my first recommendation would be BlindWrite5 since it's the best software out there for SecuROM.

Since not all burners can make a working copy of protected PC games we need to know what burner you're going to use.

You may also want to have a good look at this thread where there's some good info:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/134052

Let us know what burner you're working with and we'll take it from there :)

3. duffdawg

duffdawg Member

Nephilim Thanks I'll take a look at that link. My burners are:

CDROM_NEC_DVD_RW_ND-1300A (I have had success reading and burning CDs and DVDs with this)

and a generic stock CD burner on a Gateway
    CD_R/RW_8X4X32

Are you thinking they may not be up to the task? I'm wondering if I need an upgrade at the time :( I've read about Alcohol 120 being able to play the image from the hard drive, is this decent? I assume if the device isn't capable of getting the image correct then it wouldn't work as a burn or off the hard drive. Am I thinking of this correctly?

4. duffdawg

duffdawg Member

Got the image to run with DAEMON Tools from an image created with BlindWrite. I should have looked at your link before my last post, sorry. It wound up answering some of my questions. Thanks so much for that thread I didn't seem to find that one earlier. Oh yeah can this method work for other games Santa brought?

Sims 2
    COD & COD United Offensive
    Half Life 2 (Santa's present to himself hehe) :p

Cheers
    DuffDawg

5. Nephilim

The basic methods such as reading and writing at 4X are the same. With Alcohol you need to select the correct profile for each protection and with BlindWrite/Tweaker some of the settings are different depending on whether it's SafeDisc or SecuROM that you're backing up. Of course successful burning depends on the burner.......

The NEC drives have little to no luck burning working copies but they do just fine for reading images to be mounted with Daemon Tools. If you feel you want to be able to make good working copies of your games then your best bet will be the Plextor Premium CD/RW as it's the best drive going for beating copy protections. Two less expensive alternatives would be the Lite-On 52327S or Asus 5232AS but they don't have the VariRate capability of the Plextor Premium which, when used with BW5, makes some of the best copies of SecuROM you can get.

The only DVD burner that's still on the market that I can absolutely guarantee will successfully back up PC games is the Plextor PX-712A. It's a very fine drive and well worth owning.

If you're fine with running images off your hard drive then your current setup is just fine :)

6. duffdawg

duffdawg Member

I will research those drives you mentioned. I think I should be fine with the image and emulation mode for a while, now I'm thinking another hard drive is in short order, lol. I thank you and my son thanks you!!

7. Nephilim

[​IMG]

It was my pleasure and don't be a stranger :)