1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by durkinjt, Sep 10, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Have a question which probably seems kinda stupid, I have backed up my drives before but never had to use it. I just backed up a Sandisk 500G SSD to a flash drive. In the case that I had to reset the drive to factory, will this backup re-install all the programs that were installed to the disk, and what is thre procedure for duing so, just boot from the flash drive? T.I.A.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And how did you back up the drive?

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

What is the program that you used to backup? Try reading the instructions first.....
    Since you are restoring the operating system, you will probably need to use a boot disk with PE or Linux to run from ram because you won't have a system to run from the disk you are restoring to... All the backup programs let you make a boot disk.....

4. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks, I used Macrium Reflect.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Been a long time since I've used Macrium but it does have a WinPE rescue environment (CD, DVD, USB or Boot Menu) Don't remember just how it works but it should have instructs or google a Tut..

6. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thank You.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You should create individual images across more than 1 drive,as there's no way to know if the image is any good if you didn't deploy it to check it.Doesn't matter if it passed integrity check,mine did years ago but failed when i needed it.Learnt my lesson

8. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks good idea.

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Smart!

One of the best methods for protection against malicious occurrences and screw-ups is to have redundant backups on devices that are disconnected from the parent PC except when backup jobs are processing.

I maintain 3 backup copies, one on a Flash drive and a second on an external USB HDD that remain disconnected from my PC except during the actual file copying process.

For my main unattended scheduled backups I am using a continuously-connected interior HDD that is hidden i.e., the drive letter has been removed and the volume remains un-mounted until the backup job is run…

I've read somewhere that ransomware encryption variants won't access un-mounted drive volumes but, I’m not sure that some bright spark, malware programmer can’t come up with a way. Therefore, I have a program installed called VoodooShield and it whitelist everything in your computer and locks it down against anything you don’t want to run…. It’s still in Beta, I’m running the free version and have had no problems with it so far… Love it!!

2oG :)

10. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks, I do have almost every program on a external HDD, My hobby is making copies of movies( I have about 800), I store the iso's on a HDD and have a second HDD for an extra backup. Just use the SSD as an operating system, was just wondering how to make a one time type storage that if theSSD drive went bad I could replace it and just store all the programs I had on it in one shot. :)[/QUOTE]

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Gee, durkin, I have no idea and would just have to dig it out of the bucket with google (not!). I tried several backup programs, didn't like MR and settled on AOMEI.... Maybe someone else can tell you.. o_O

12. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks again, yea I always liked Aomei I'll check out & see whats nearest to what I want to do.