1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups freeze after time, swap magic red flash

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Oujisama, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

My PS2 is v.7 and I use Swap Magic 3.6. My media is Verbatim DVD-R's. I burned at 2x speed.

Whenever I boot the backup from swap magic, I get a quick red flash which I know is bad. Then the game starts and I play for awhile until all of a sudden, the game will start skipping around and finally just freeze all together.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I've tried cleaning my laser, but the same problem happens with my friend's PS2 so it can't be my laser. I'm sure my media is high quality because it is Verbatim, and I am pretty sure the iso is legit.

I've searched ALL over the web for a solution, and there is NO solution ANYWHERE. What is the problem here?!

2. comminup

comminup Regular member

the games may need to be rebuilt with xpert2

3. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I have only one game that is over 4 gigs and it is 4.14 gigs, so it doesn't need rebuilding.

4. schweet

schweet Guest

What's the max speed of the blank discs? Is the iso PAL or NTSC? Is your PS2 PAL or NTSC? Do your other games work ok, copies and originals?

5. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

The max writing speed is 16x. Both the ISO and my ps2 are NTSC. My originals work fine and none of my copies work right.

6. schweet

schweet Guest

Try burning one at 8x and see if it works.

7. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I went ahead and tried both 8x and 12x speed and both ended up with the red flash when booting it with swap magic. I really hate having to waste all these dvd-r's...

8. schweet

schweet Guest

9. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

Using swap magic properly? Is there a certain way besides just swapping and booting? Im in the process of rebuilding at the moment.

10. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I tried the rebuilding method but the iso did not get any smaller, obviously indicating that it does not need rebuilding.

11. schweet

schweet Guest

Sometimes they won't get much smaller from rebuilding, but can still be necessary on some games.

Have you tried different booting methods?

12. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I dont really have any other booting methods. My friend's ps2 has a modchip and my backups freeze on his too so it must be the dvd itself.

13. schweet

schweet Guest

Nah I meant like using zoneloader or cogswap etc.

You could try updating your burner's firmware. It's strange that they don't work; you're using good discs, you've tried different burning speeds, rebuilding hasn't helped, it happens to all the iso's you have and you've tried it on another modded PS2 and they still don't work.

I'm also wondering if it could be the discs, even though they're Verbatim I once bought some Verbs and none of them worked, so it's possible you've got a bad batch, they're fake or made in the wrong country.

So I guess all that's left is to try different discs and update your burner's firmware.

Also, what program are you using to rip/burn the iso's?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  14. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I use DVD Decrypter

Im also thinking that maybe my verbatim discs are fakes, because by now there isn't a single explanation left as to why my backups aren't working.

15. schweet

schweet Guest

Yeah it sounds like you've done all the rights things, I can't think why else they wouldn't work.

Let us know how you go with different discs.

Edit: I'd also try a +R just to totally eliminate any factors that are preventing your back-ups from working.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  16. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

Alright, I got a few Verbatim Datalife DVD-R's 4x Max burn speed. Tried burning it, STILL RED FLASH!!!! And freezes and skips around.

Im ready to give up because this is just complete bullshit. Its a total waste of my time and money. Im doing NOTHING wrong. Ridiculous.

Heres a list, completely ruling out EVERY possibility or explanation.

1. Most likely not the media. I've tried two different high quality brands of Verbatim DVD-R's and still nothing.

2. Not the ISO. Its happened to every single one of my backups.

3. Not my PS2 and its laser. My friend has tried it on his PS2, and he also experiences freezing and skipping.

4. Not Swap magic. My friend's PS2 is modded with a chip, and he experiences the freezing, obviously ruling out the booting method.

5. ISO does not need a rebuild. Again, its happened to all of my backups, most of which were under 3 gigs. Even after rebuilding, it did not work.

6. Not my burner. I've tried burning on 3 different computers including an expensive external burner. Same bad results on all.

7. Not the burning speed. I did 8x, 12x, 4x, and 2x on my 16x Verbatim discs. ALL same results. I did 2x and 4x on my 4x Verbatim Datalife discs. Same results.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  17. schweet

schweet Guest

Very strange.

Does your mate with the chip rip and burn his own back-ups? Can you try making an ISO from one of his working back-ups as a test?

18. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

So you don't have the original game, and from what it sounds like, you ended up downloading the game? You never ruled out the possibility of creating another ISO image from the original so the ISO could be faulty. And what's the game name? There might be similar problems associated with that game everyone has like Scarface that one time (though I'm not sure it was Scarface).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  19. Oujisama

Oujisama Member

I actually extracted an iso from one of my friend's games(its an original) and burned it, still ending up with a red flash. I don't know how long it'll last because it always works for a few days then ends up starting to freeze and stutter.