1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups not working! Backup possible using a Mac? HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Jestered, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Jestered

Jestered Member

I got my PNP No Solder mod chip with Swap Magic 3.3 today, but cannot get a backup to work to save my life! Everything seems to go good until I put the backup in and then it says that it is not a valid PS2 disk. I cannot get past this.

I am on a Mac and am wondering if it is possible to make a backup using a Mac. I don't see why not, but I cannot figure out what is going on. I have burned the .iso image as an image.... nothing! I tried to use Toast and do a DVD to DVD copy.... nothing! Tried with many of my DVD games as well as my CD games and..... nothing!

I even tried downloading the DVDLoader thing that I thought might help, but it does the same thing... tells me that it is not a valid PS2 disk. That is when I thought that maybe when you burn the image or copy the disk on a Mac it is doing something different that is screwing it up. I don't know....

Here is what I have:
    PnP Chip
    Swap Magic 3.3 disks
    Lacie (NEC 3500) CD/DVD Burner
    Sony DVD-R disks Burning at 2X speeds

I have been searching forum after forum... It seems the main problem when this happens is because of bad media, but I am using Sony DVD's and from what I have read they are good for PS2 backups. Someone please help me!

2. ragtoprs

ragtoprs Member

I've got an old Emac 800mhz running OSX10.2.8 with a Pioneer DVR-108 16X DVD burner and copies have been rediculously easy so far. I put the disc in, load up Roxio Toast and hit Copy DVD. Now as far as dealing with online discs, I haven't tried anything yet.

Maybe the mod chip is not installed correctly. Have you tried loading an original disc? I'm using swap magic 3.3 with the flip top lid on a V9 PS2.

The discs you are using may be the problem, I'm not sure. I use Prodisc 8X DVD-Rs http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2678&cata=1&s_cata=88
    I know they work.

3. Hard

Hard Member

I run a 1ghz eMac myself and have 87 working ps2 backups all burned using my Macintosh. I simply use toast to create an image of the disc and then burn as disc image. I burn at 4x using ritek g04 media. I can guarantee you riteks work, you can pick them up pretty cheap at shop4tech.com. This should solve your problems and if you are working with a .iso file you didn't create, just burn it under disc copy - image in toast.

4. Jestered

Jestered Member

Thanks for the response guys! I guess I will try to get some Ritek disks and see if that solves the problem.

The chip is installed correctly. My chip is not a real mod chip, all it does it allows me to press the eject button on the console without the PS2 knowing it was done. If I load a game and press eject the PS2 stays with the game loaded and I can even move around menus and stuff without a disk in the drive... so I know the chip is working. Next would be the Swap Magic Disks... they seem to be working, but I do have a question about those. It keeps telling me to insert a bigger TOC disk???? I understand what TOC is, but no matter what disk I put in it tells me the same thing. Could this be the problem? Or would I get some other error besides, "Disk not a valid PS2 disk"?

I thought since the new SM 3.3 DVD Disk is 4.35GB that you should not have to refresh the TOC. The game I am trying to load is a small 1.36GB DVD so why would it keep asking me to insert a bigger TOC disk. I did put in my biggest game which is 4.34 and it refreshed and told me to insert my own program... and that is when I put in the backup and it tells me that it is not a valid PS2 disk.

Like I stated earlier the same thing happens if I try to use CDLoader or DVDLoader as well so I am really confused. This makes me think it may actually be the media because these are simple tools that a lot of people are using.... but then again this TOC thing is confusing me too.

What should I do about this TOC problem? Does the Swap disks ask for a larger TOC disk all the time (standard operation) or could this be my while problem?

Thanks again!

5. Jestered

Jestered Member

... Another thing, I am running OS X 10.3.8, my PS2 is a V7.