1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups of DVDs with Director Commentary

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alleyoop9, Jan 31, 2008.

1. alleyoop9

alleyoop9 Member

When I backup DVDs that have Director Commentary, they always default to commentary ON when I try to play them. Even though the Menu to turn them on/off is there, it won't accept the OFF command. Pls help....I'm at my wits end. Thx.

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

I do not know what software you use for backup, it would help to know. Most likely software is messing up commands.
    You can always use DVD Shrink and delete director comments audio stream, unless you want whole DVD.
    Director comment is never first audio stream, which DVD player default to when playing.
    There is a way to fix it, but gets more complicated, using commands.
    Other way is to use remount, and reset audio to first stream.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

A little more info about your process, the title(s) you're referring to may prove to be quite helpful.

4. alleyoop9

alleyoop9 Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention at the outset, I'm running MS Vista op sys with AnyDVD 6.3.1.2 and CloneDVD 2.9.1.5. The latest I've tried to backup are "Balboa" and "Solstice", both with the same problem. All DVDs without Director Commentary run just fine.

5. Suba

Suba Regular member

Try to backup you DVD to Hard Drive without using CloneDVD and play with software player to see if Director Comments start?
    You can always check it with PGCEdit, but like I said, it gets into commands.
    I am not familiar with AnyDVD, but do you copy Movie only and do you have a choice to select audio stream?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

try dvd shrink its free cant hurt and test on pc before burn = nothing lost just abit of time (running anydvd)

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Are you doing the whole DVD or just Movie only?

8. alleyoop9

alleyoop9 Member

I didn't realize there were two audio streams with the 2nd being the director's commentary. My cloneDVD was defaulting to stream 2. I unchecked stream 2's box and checked stream 1 and made a run....worked perfectly. That's something else I'll have to watch for now. Thanks for all your replies. I think this case is closed.

9. Suba

Suba Regular member

This it the problem with most of these one click progs. When you select Movie Only, they just look for bigest file and copy that, assuming that is a movie.