1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups of Original PS2 disk. Why not copy all the information thus saving the need for a mod chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dazgan, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Dazgan

Dazgan Guest

Can someone please tell me why it is not possible for a backup to be made which contains all of the information of an original PS2 disk? By "äll of the information" I mean the country code information as well as information as to it being an original Sony disk. Surely by being able to make a backup with all of the information on the original disk there would be no need for a mod-chip or other boot method.

If anyone can assist with the answer, and I'm not looking for some half explanation but the complete technical answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. billz

billz Active member

simply put... ps2 games have a Bad sector written into them ,when you goto copy this, your dvd burner corrects the bad sector. there's no way to stop it.It's a automatic feature of all home burners so there's your problem the bad sector

3. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

then howcome when you turn error correction off it still doesnt work

would a program like dvdx rescue or cd check do it?

4. Dazgan

Dazgan Guest

Hmm...well thats a start but by no means the end of my quest for knowledge. I however, have a problem with when you say
    . Surely, a burner will do what its told to do via software? Be it an application on your hard drive or the firmware for the drive. After all its only hardware and doesnt have a mind of its own.

I also found the following in another thread:

If this is accurate then from my understanding of cryptography (and I must say I know very little) the key to decrypting the information on the original PS2 disk has to be in the BIOS of the PS2. If someone could obtain the key from the BIOS then a program could be written for a PC, containing the key, which read all the information of the original PS2 disk thereby allowing it to be duplicated.

5. alpha_tot

alpha_tot Member

you cant do it on a computer. If you are able to press dvds, you could write the bad sector, but a regular cdr or dvdr drive is incapable.

6. Dazgan

Dazgan Guest

Okay to anyone else that is considering responding...and I am greatful for those who have responded...I am not simply interested in hearing what you believe/know can or cannot be done unless you can explain why or can point me to a credible source as to why it can/cannot be done.

7. billz

billz Active member

well your quite rude for "being the man with a golden touch"Thinking your going to stumble upon how to load ps2 games without a mod.But your asking your question on a very novice board.(no offense AD) try ps2ownz.com to get your tecn. answer there very advanced into the ps2 knowledge

p.s. lighten up the ps2 has been around for years now your not the very 1st person think hey, what if i could play backups without a mod?

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  9. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

Bad Sectors?

i thought that was just a rumour?

i thought there were just some parts of the disc that were copy protected and couldn't be copied at all.

if it is just bad sectors........i thought there was a program that could write bad sectors..........but backups with this STILL didn't work, thus disproving the whole "bad sectors" argument.........at least that's what i was led to believe?