1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups stopped being copied

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ILHS86, May 3, 2005.

1. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I am making a backup of my backups using Record Now, have even tried Nero 6 and tried using Shrink also, my burner is a HP 300I I have had this almost 3 yrs and I have installed an firmware update about a year ago, ANYWAYS, when I tried to do this yesterday I could not get a copy off, always errors, mostly when it was reading the backup, I have wiped the disc, and there is no scratches or nothing. It keeps telling me to check media, or this or that - I am using SONY, they always worked before, I am running XP home. Any ideas?

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Sounds like your backups may have errors in them, try using DVD Decrypter in read then write mode and see if that works. You really don't need to use Shrink, your backups are already at the right size. If this does not work, you may have to try a program like Isobuster to recover the data. Since you updated your firmware a year ago, maybe you ought to check and see if there has been another update.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  3. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I have tried to find if there was a firmware update, but the HP website it a joke, because I only found one regarding an upgrade in 2002. If anyone knows where else to check - that would be great, But in the meantime, I will try decrypter. Thanks

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Sounds like bad discs. You should be able to just copy the entire VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to your hard drive. If you get read errors (cyclic redundancy error), then as arniebear suggested, use Decrypter and set 'Ignore Read Errors' and "0" read retries so it will skip over the unreadable data. You might get skips or an unreadable disc anyway if the bad areas are big. How old is your burner? I had an old burner that wouldn't read some DVDs that my new burner will. Maybe try on a friend's burner?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

in addition to the other replies, try downloadin (free trial) dvdinfopro, it can crc check your discs amongst other things