1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups that always freeze at the same point

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Marauder1, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Marauder1

Marauder1 Member

I have been able to backup most of my collection with ease, but every so often I get a backup that freezes at one of two spots....

1) Right before a preview comes on
    2) Right before the main movie comes up, in the middle of all the studio info...

If I reauthor it and just put the movie on the DVD it turns out to be fine. Multiple backups freeze at that same spot. Is this is a documented problem? Any way around it so I dont get any more coasters?

Thanks

2. Marauder1

Marauder1 Member

Any ideas?

3. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

it might just be copyright protection. anti-copy software that happened with a coupple of my ps2 games it would start and then stop at a certain point.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You didn't give us any information on what programs you use, what media you use or what speed you burn at. Just from a guessing standpoint, try different brands of media like Ritek or Verbatim grade A, or try dropping your burn speed down a step from what you are now burning at. Can't help more with information you gave.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  5. Marauder1

Marauder1 Member

I normally use DVD decrypter to backup, and then Intervideo DVD Copy to burn. Always use Ritek R-. I burn at 4X speed.

If I use DVD Shrink and reauthor something to just be the movie with no title screen, or previews...it always works.

6. rhbender

rhbender Guest

I, too, have been experiencing problems when trying to backup my DVD's. I use DVD Shrink to bring the files into proper volume and then have tried such burn software as Easy CD Creator and Pinnacle to complete the task. I have made 7 attempts to backup various DVD's with only one success. I even have followed on line instructions to back up Pirates of the Caribbean and, although my numbers were exactly the same as posted on the Net, that attempt also failed. The failures seem to occur when about 3/4 of the copy has been made with a message indicating that insufficient media space remains. I assure everyone that this IS NOT the case.

Since DVD Shrink dovetails with Nero, I have just bought Nero 6 but have not yet used it.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

rhbender, what is the file size before you start to burn your dvd blank. Blank media has 4.7gig written on them, but actual size you can burn to them is 4.36gig.
    As to Easy CD Creator, its probably the worst choice for dvd backups. The people that get it to work seem to love it. Most members hate it, then uninstall it, replace it with Nero 6 and never look back to it again. Haven't used Pinnacle so I can't comment on it.

Jerry

8. rhbender

rhbender Guest

Jerry - Thanks for your prompt reply. The file size at which I begin is ALWAYS smaller that the allocated size on the DVD blank. I tend to agree with your assessment of EZ CD Creator and am awaiting delivery of Nero 6 which I purchased some days ago.

The use of DVD Shrink puts all files sizes in proper size and format prior to my burn attempts so let's lay it on Creator for the moment. I'll bring you up to date as soon as I try Nero 6
    Richard Bender

9. rhbender

rhbender Guest

Since Nero 6 has been installed, everything seems to work OK. Quality of copy is excellent.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad to here that. Nero is a very good all around group of programs for everything that needs burning.

Jerry