1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups work fine, but Swap Magic will only occasionally load, please help

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Neon01, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Neon01

Neon01 Member

Just picked up a flip top and SM 3.6 for my ver.1 PS2. Installed just fine, and the flip top seems to work great (I think). However, I can only occasionally get SM to load. When it does, I put my Ritek backups in and they load the first time every time, so I know there's no issues with the laser or the hardware.

However, when I put the SM disc in the flip top, turn the power on, and hit reset to start, most times it'll automatically take me to the media screen - where I can load either memory cards or the ps2 disc. Unfortunately, when I click X to load the ps2 disc (SM disc), it thinks for a second and then brings me right back into the media select screen. I try repeatedly and it won't actually load the SM disc. After shutting down a few times and resetting, it'll eventually load the SM disc, but this is unacceptable.

Do I have a bad SM disc? I noticed it has these "rings" on the read side of the disc. They look like breaks in the data pressing or something, are those normal? I assumed they were. The disc quality looks very poor, but then I know this isn't an officially licensed Sony product here.

Note: I also noticed that one time I tried to load it with the disc catching the side of the tray and not seating entirely on the spindle. Since then every time I make sure to completely seat the disc on the spindle when loading it, so that's not the issue.

Any suggestions? Maybe a defective disc? Am I loading it right?

2. ace1GB

ace1GB Guest

Try cleaning your laser lens. Still got problems, then adjust either of the cogs in the drive bay (white one at the rear for disc tray height to lens, or very small one beside the lens for laser adjustment)