1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups Working Some of the Time?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Loochy323, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Loochy323

Loochy323 Regular member

I backed up the Orange Box on a Verb. First time it works, yay im playing it. Then it pops up as a dvd, mixed media disc, and an unplayable disc. Sometimes the screen will just go black like its loading the disc, other time it will load and when I try to play it says unreadable disc please clean. It's like my xbox 360 cant make up its mind. Any ideas?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

It's either a bad burn or your laser is on its way out.

3. Loochy323

Loochy323 Regular member

Weel, I burned two so its not a bad burn. The laser is probalby shot, every once in a while I get errors on regular disc that tell me its unreadable and to clean it. Is there a way to replace the laser without replacing the whole drive so I dont have to flash a new one?

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yes, the laser can be replaced fairly easy. Some of the regular mod chip sites carry the lasers or your best bet is to get a new one from eBay.

Which drive do you have? I've read (but can't confirm) that some Hitachi drives have trouble reading backups which were made as SplitVid. Do you make your own backups or download them?

Also, you can try changing your burning speed and have you ever updated the firmware for your burner.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Personally I think the laser is a pain to replace. You should be able to get a new drive for $50 and it's a lot easier to deal with even if you are spending maybe twice what you would on just a laser. You can look at this guide below and judge for yourself. BTW if you buy the same drive don't have to flash it. Just swap the circuit boards.

http://www.360mods.net/News/article/sid=92.html

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

dang double post.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  7. Loochy323

Loochy323 Regular member

bhetrick:

I have the toshiba samsung drive (according to http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEuZyyVFyprcUrLDTt.php)

I download my backups. I use 2.4x burning speed and no I have not updated the firmware on my burner.

Memnock:

Thanks for the input, I'll think I'll just swap the circuit boars like you said. I could switch laser but I have to remove a solder, which I'll most likely screw up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Toshiba...yZ122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just confirming the above drive will work? And to keep it modded I have to switch circuit boards?