1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backwards Compatible??

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pspfreak1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. pspfreak1

pspfreak1 Regular member

Hey guys

I'm thinking of buying a ps3, but i need to know which one is backwards compatible?? (20gb, 40gb, 60gb, or 80gb?)

Thanks

2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

You should try using the search function but which I found this with:-

1). 20GB has no chrome trim, no memory card reader and no wi-fi. Not manufactured anymore. Has the best backwards compatibility with PS2 games due to Emotion Engine (PS2's CPU) and Graphics Synthesizer (PS2's GPU) installed.
    2). NTSC 60GB has the same backwards compatibility as 20GB version, also has memory card reader and wi-fi. Has a chrome trim.
    3). 80GB - extended memory, but reduced backwards compatibility with PS2 games, it has only Graphics Synthesizer (PS2's GPU). Around 80% of PS2 games can be played. Available only in NTSC regions.
    4). 40GB - can't play PS2 games at all (all PS2 chips were removed), has 2 USBs instead of 4, no memory card reader, has wi-fi. Avalable in black and white colors. White is on sale only in Japan. Uses 65nm technology (lower power consumption). Improved cooling system. It's the latest version. 40GB doesn't support SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc).
    5). PAL 60GB - reduced backwards compatibility with PS2 games. it has only Graphics Synthesizer (PS2's GPU). Around 80% of PS2 games can be played.
    Wi-fi included in all models, except 20GB.

However as an addition to the above there are rumours the first 60gb release in the uk have full BC.

3. pspfreak1

pspfreak1 Regular member

hey thanks alot for that.

so judging by that, i guess 60gb is the best way to go if u have a lot of ps2 games?

thanks.

4. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Yes the 60gb PS3 is the best one,but Sony have stopped making that model,so it will be hard to find.I also think they have stoped making the 20gb model as well.

5. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Yeah, they ceased production on both the 60 gig and 20 gig (Japanese versions) effective last week I believe.

Trust me, backwards compatibility might seem important now but after you've owned a PS3 for a while you're not going to care, I've only played 1 ps2 game on my PS3 and that was just to test to see how it all works then never bothered again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  6. omegared

omegared Member

So there is absolutely no way of playing PS2 games on a 40 gig PS3?

7. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

no man didnt you read?

And btw i do use my ps3 for ps2 games quite allot... GOW, Gta:SA, Spyro etc etc.