1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad burns?!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by TJM12345, Sep 29, 2004.

1. TJM12345

TJM12345 Member

Well, I'm new to all of this, but I have done my share of research. I'm running with a Sony DW-U18A burner, (flashed to U700A so that I can burn dual-layer discs), and I'm using Ritek G05 DVD-R (8x) media. From what I've read, I have good media and pretty decent burner. I also have a flip-top with SwapMagic. I have been burning my backups with DVD Decrypter (Mode>ISO>Read, then ISO>Write) at 2x speed. I have selected 1x, but it still goes at 2x, which I assume means that either my burner or media doesn't support 1x. I have also attempted it by ripping an ISO using Alcohol 120% and then burning with Decrypter, but still no go.

When I actually boot through with SwapMagic and insert my backup, I get the red screen 99 times out of 100 which apparently means that I have a bad burn. I have been able to boot the game twice (both times with Burnout 3... once it worked perfectly, the other it was very choppy and loaded very slowly). Now judging by my slow burn speed and the quality of my Ritek G05 media, I have doubts that the problem is actually that I am making bad burns (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have made several burns of Burnout 3, Winning Eleven 7, The Suffering, and Street Fighter Anniversary. The only ones that have ever worked are 2 of the Burnout games, and like I said, it only worked twice. I have installed the flip top on two separate V4 PS2s, and both with the same result.

If I am indeed making bad burns, where am I going wrong? Is there a program or method that I can use to verify that my burns are good and the PS2 can't read them? Is there ANY solution to my problem? Alternate methods? Any help would be MUCH appreciated... I did just spend a lot of money on all of this stuff and am getting pretty frustrated.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i'd say get some g04's, since a lot of people are having trouble getting the ps2 to read 8x media. Also, street fighter requires cd loader, http://www.swapmagicfix.com
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  3. TJM12345

TJM12345 Member

Tried it using my Ritek 8x DVD+R and got a perfect backup of Burnout 3. I'm going to try some others now, but it looks like +R did the trick. Let that be a lesson to everyone here to TEST YOUR MEDIA FIRST! Don't just assume, like I did, that -R is best for you just because it was for everyone else.