1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by llennoco, Mar 31, 2007.

1. llennoco

llennoco Member

I've burned 100s of DVDs with DVD shrink & Nero, now the last 5 have
    said Bad Disc when trying to play in DVD player. I've tried other
    DVDs in player they play ok.

Thanks Dan

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you switch media?
    Example: Changed brand names/changed format/changed spindles?

Use nero infotool to locate the MID code of the OK backups and the MID code of the 5 that wouldn't play.

Also try playing a couple of those 5 bad discs using the pc and the dvd-rw drive that produced those backups. Make sure it plays them ok.

Stand alone players can be picky. Here's a few things that can trigger a stand alone player to give a no disc error on the display:

1)Format.Some play both formats,1 format,and some may play none at all.

2)Certain MID coded media-when using a certain brand name in 1 batch/switch spindles of identical media and having a different MID code.Example: I used a 30 pk +4x verbatim that coded as MCC-002 that played anywhere.Then I switched spindles to another 30 pk of +4x verbatim,and the MID code switched to Ricohjpn and a PS2 gave a no disc error with them.

3)Burner quality-may need a firwmare update to properly burn those discs. Some burners put out inferior backups-lots of small errors/lower stand alone player compatability rate.

4)Paper/sticker labels

Make sure the drive that burned them,can play them and they should look near identical to the originals.Test them in other stand alone players-the more,the better.

By giving a no disc error,there's something about that backup that your stand alone player doesn't like.