1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad dvd+r burns/ software?/Drives?/Me?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scrad750, Feb 27, 2007.

1. scrad750

scrad750 Member

First post. Be gentle

I have a Sony Dvd-Rom DDU1615 DMA set It's updated
    MY BOOTTYPE IS DVD-R - It will not let me change

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B DMA set It's updated
    MY BOOTTYPE IS DVD-R - It will not let me change

The media i use is = Verbatim mcc 004 DVD+R

Running windows xp/Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz / 2.0 GB ram / 1,622,600 available cpu stays less than 10%

I use programs or try to use / Rip4me / Fixvts / Dvd shrink /Dvd decrypter /Imgburn/ vobedit / ifoedit / Dvd Cloner

I have burned at least 10 great movies from reading all the forums and following the suggestions to what program downloads to use. I also have burned over 30 coasters trying to use these programs. I am sure some are due to settings i am trying to learn. That is why I am now posting..

I have 3 movies that burned great all the same set ups. The next 5 were coasters. All 5 were different movies with same set ups. Some froze at diff points in all 3 of my dvd players. The sony plastation actualy plays the movies the best, but still it froze some out of those 5 movies. I have tried using Info.edit doing a create new info/ create new .bup / but no luck.

3 of the movies seem to play great on my computer. The other 2 tries to freeze but sometimes will play through. I have tried 3 burner software Roxio/ dvdcloner / ImgBurn / No luck. 2 of the movies that play great on my computer will barely start in any of my players. Before i make it an .ISO. The files seem ok..bup/info /.bup /.info/ 4 or 5 .vob files. In dvd cloner Some times the files are this way but other times it could be 30 of them.I have not messed with these sinse all the post I read shows them the other way.. I have deleted Roxio software due to the complications other posts have said about causing burn problems. This still has not worked. ( Coasters )

I have noticed. That when it is reading while copying to my HDD. It seems like sometimes it slows down real slow on some of the 5 movies i am talking about. On maybe 3 of them at one time it actually stopped and then started back. Could this be a reason? The ones that run straight through reading I have had only 4 movies that may shuffle a little but not freeze. You just see the screen shake.

Maybe I need new dvd rom and dvd burner ( Quality ) This is what came with my dell. The dvd rom. I just made dell replace it thinking that was the reading problem. POST links for great instructions to use this softwares in detail would also be great. I don't mind reading it if it's already there. No sense in repeating yourselves. Like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are good media. I see this asked through out so many threads...

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi scrad750
    Welcome to aD

Check you firmware for both drives and see if they're up to date. if not update it.
    You can use ImgBurn - open ImgBurn in the right hand window you'll see the make and model of the drives (in read mode should also see the dvd-rom I think).
    Right after the model # & between this (ata) will be the firmware version.

The latest for the DVD-Rom is FDS3. link.

The latest for the burner is E113. link

The dvd-rom won't booktype - burners do that when burning the disc. But your burner doesn't look like it has this capability.

What's the burn speed your using? Try 8x or a bit lower.

Here's a great step by step guide for RipIt4Me - guide.

The drive slowing down sounds like the current transfer mode is in PIO mode but since you've checked that could also be dirty or scratched discs. Clean the discs with something non abrasive.

Might also what to try reading and burning from the same drive. try and narrow it down.

3. scrad750

scrad750 Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I used dvdinfo pro. from another post. I tested the speeds of each drive when i first started. ( ok. ) Yes both drives are at these updates.

Burning wise= I have only burned at 8x /12x / 16x using the 16x media. Alot of post suggest only going half of whats rated. I did try one at 4x on 1 movie before reading the posts. It wouldn't even play. That's when i read about only half for what media your using. Plus quality. (the dye i read makes a diff.)
    YOUR answer _ I have been burning mainly at 8x..

Drives _ I have tried using both drives for reading. It tends to slow down or stop around the same area. In dvd cloner. It suggest using fix scratch. It hasn't worked yet.

I just tried 2 brand new movies 2 hours ago. One perfect. The other paused on my reading around 96%. Sure enough that were the movie acted up. I have cleaned all my players using that disc with bristles. Tried the spray and Alchol to clean disc.

Why does the movie plays good on each file ( .vob)/good or bad reading. But when i burn it after making it an .ISO It will barely play on any player. It doesn't even appear bad when i try to view it before i burn. Well except maybe a few. but they stopped many times during the reading process..Those looked scuffed up. Trying to save.

Thanks for the link. I will read.

4. binkie7

Hmmm I would say bad disc but you've had to many of them.

Does sound like something is happening on the ripping of these - getting a bad rip - one reason it will slow down.

Do you have both of the drives set to cable select? Dell's prefer this setting.

5. scrad750

scrad750 Member

Be honest- don't know. I will look it up on the internet. I know it deals with the cable behind the drive and how it plugs in. I think anyway... It's plugged in the way it arrived.

Ps. I updated rip4me today. 1.7.0 Seem to run a little differnt on one of the dvd that messed up on the old version. Instead of going through fixvts. It did it's own thing. It then asked me to later clean my disc so it could scan a few bad places again. I guess sectors. It scanned again and went through. Never asked me this before.

I will try a few more and see what happens. On your link. It says to copy full dvd. I have been only copying movie only before. I don't know if this helped either. Could you explain maybe?

Just wondering is it normal for shrink to use 99% of cpu when coding?

What do you think about my drives?
    New ones needed or fine for now?

6. binkie7

Check the jumper pin setting. I don't have any Dell pc's so I'm not sure if they would change the jumper pin to slave for you.
    Most drives come w/ it set to slave and you change it to the connection on the ide cable (like if you had it on master or a dell pc to cable select)
    Dell should have something on their site.

Setup RipIt4Me like the guide. If you use 1 click mode it will rip w/ decrypter, run thru FixVTS then open Shrink. Check the settings and have the paths correct esp for FixVTS.

The error you got is just telling you the drive is having a hard time ripping the disc. Read errors.
    Yes Shrink is pretty cpu intensive - so that high number doesn't surprise me.
    Have all unneeded programs closed and no multitasking.

Movie only or full disc really shouldn't make a diff. Really your preference if you want the whole disc (more compression) or just movie only (less compression)

Hmmm new drives needed? Not too sure on that one right now. You have 2 drives doing the same thing and 1 was even replaced and still a problem.
    So I would check the jumper pins and maybe consider a new ide cable 1st.

Check DMA mode again - read errors can cause the drives to slip back into PIO mode.

If your haven't recently I would run a registry cleaner like ccleaner (use the issues & cleaner options), disc defrag and virus/spyware scans.

7. scrad750

scrad750 Member

ccleaner - I run this every 2 weeks
    defrag- I check every week. Just done it 2 days ago.
    DMA - Still on Ultra DMA 5
    Ultra DMA 2
    DMA if Available

I think its on Cable select. I took both drives out and going by the diagram it has. The little cover is over the pins that say cable select on both drives. The other sets are not covered at all.(slave and master)

Just another question to add. If i am having this much trouble with new dvd's. What do you do when you try and save a scratched one that you know already skips? I have a few of those. That's the one reason I bought DVDcloner. It claimed it could fix scatches. It seems it only scans it to hard drive and then re-reads it and then burns. Dvd worse than the orginal.

Ps. Any more good links to read. Detail links.

8. binkie7

Good to see you keep up on the pc maintenance - goes a long way.
    Virus scans too (my guess is you do though).

Your drives setting sound correct too - so that rules that out.

If your having this much trouble copy clean new dvd's I think scratched ones will be almost impossible. Plus it already skips so that will make it hard to rip on any drive. Might have to many read errors to copy.

This one is stumping me - besides changing the ide cable - running short here. I don't think it's the drives since both do the same thing but could be wrong.

Try using dvdfab decrypter and shrink - both are free.
    Here's a link w/ guides and info that's good.
    link

9. scrad750

scrad750 Member

Thanks for that link. That's the kind of details I need. I have read alot of forums, but never crossed that one. ( over looked -I guess )
    Will keep at it any way...

Thanks for your help.

Just to get your thoughts. If I decide to buy a new combo dual layer drive. What would you suggest for the ones of 2007 ?? Do the nicer drives have better reading and burning abilities in your experience?

I have researched the ones i have now. Seems alot of people don't like what dell has given them. I am sure some of that might be from lack of knowledge too. Hoping that 1 click always work. I know, i did at first myself. Some cases might not even deal with dvd burns. In my case, it does great on every thing else except my dvd's. Now taking all the steps to assure that it's not the programs, system, operator-still maybe. It may well be this is not a good drive for dvd's...

10. binkie7

You're welcome

Ones I would suggest to look at would be LiteOn 16x, Pioneer or Plextor.
    Have they gotten better - yes - burning wise. Ripping wise maybe better - I haven't had too many problems ripping even with older ones unless the disc is really messed up.

I'd rule out as many possibilities as you can 1st. I'd hate to see you get a new drive then that not solve it. They're not that much now but still.