1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad experience with Ritek branded (if really Ritek branded)

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DVDAlex, Jun 13, 2004.

1. DVDAlex

DVDAlex Member

Greetings to all, I am a totally new member. I've spent 48 hours trying to find out why my branded Ritek discs would simply freeze at a certain point(usually in the last third region). I make back-up copies using DVD Shrink (latest version) and burn with Nero 6.3 (automatically, through DVD Shrink), using LG GSA-4040B burner. I also always re-author discs, keeping only the movie and removing as much of the stuff I don't need as I can. Usually, my movies are even uncompressed. While burning on an unknown brand Choice DVD-R, everything went smooth, although my Panasonic MV1 would sometimes have a hick-up with highly compressed things like TV shows with 4 episodes on a disc, nothing more than that.
    About a month ago I bought a batch of purple discs with Ritek brand on them (actually written Ritek on top left) and my troubles started. Alas, I've solved the problem by compressing movies up to a limit of max 3Gb. Than, all would be well. Would someone confirm (or not) my belief that I have simply come into possession of a bad batch of disks that have problems when playing the last 1.5GB or so...? I bought them from ukdvdr.co.uk
    Also, does anyone know of a certified on-line shop in the USA, something like USA's dvd-and-media.com?
    Lastly, am I right in thinking that if I paid top dollar for media like Maxell or Sony, I would be assured of almost 100% success and compatibility, or is this a totally wrong assumption?
    Thank you for your patience if some (or all) of the answers have already appeared in this forum. I have spent quite a lot of time scanning through various topics and the above are the only doubts that still keep nagging at me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Need to download DVDInfo (free) and analyze those disks to find out if they are really Ritek, what version of Ritek, and grade. Could be rejects or fakes. On line in USA, Meritline.com has good prices on name brand RiData G04 media and free delivery.

3. DVDAlex

DVDAlex Member

Just checked and seems that the media is genuine. It states Media code/manufacturer ID as RITEKG04. Now I've read that my dvrive LG GSA-4040B (latest firmware A303) has compatibility problems with some media. Can anyone reccomend media for this drive? Thanks.

4. DVDAlex

DVDAlex Member

Never mind, just found the entire thread about this topic. Thanks for your help, Stan.

5. clueless1

clueless1 Member

Can you link to the thread?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.xeox.tk
    [/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  6. DVDAlex

DVDAlex Member