1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Media???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rajaijah, Dec 24, 2004.

1. rajaijah

rajaijah Member

I have read various articles about teh quality of media from this site. One thing I am confused is this. when you say bad media does it mean they might go bad in a yr or so...or it is just that you have errors while writing. reason i am asking is coz I got 50pack FUJI 8X DVD-R free after rebate. they are manufactured by prodisc. I have backed up about 24 DVDs so far. No errors and all works fine on my pioneer DVD player.
    I just want to know if they might go bad in few years coz they were manufactured in taiwan. In that case I need to back up those movies again in some good media. I have bought sony DVD-R 50 pack for $19.25 -made in Japan. I can use that to back up DVDs and keep the fuji for misc. purposes.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

it is kind of hard to tell with just a regular disc error scan. it is not a very accurate test
    you need to do a PI/PIF error count with kprobe or nero cd/dvd speed to determine the quality of burn and how long the disc will last
    you should probably be ok with prodisc

the ones that will possibly go bad within a year or so are mainly the really cheap discs with fake media ID's or something similar because they use cheap manufacturing process and the dye breaks down quickly and causes data loss

3. ray123

ray123 Guest

Are TDKs any good?

They have 2 different types of DVD-R media. I was using their more expensive ones, 50s for A$52. Then I got their other ones with white printable surface, sorta rough surface, for 50s for A$37.

As an aside, which DL media are good. Here in Oz, I can only see the Verbatims. Are there any other company manufacturing DL medias? The Verbatims are quite expensive, at A$12-14 here.