1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad RITEK Media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by GeeDaddy, Sep 18, 2004.

1. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

I finally received my 50 pack of RITEK G04 "silver-matt" and cant burn with them at all. I keep getting a power calibration error whether I use Nero Or Decrypter. I updated to the latest firmware for my Optorite DD0401 "160E" and also re-installed my ASPI layer to no avail. Finally after trying a few of them I inserted one of the last "cheap" HP DVD+R's I have and it burned with no problem. I must mention that I’ve burned DVD-R media before with no problems. The purchase was from Shop4Tech. DVDInfoPro say's that it is indeed RITEKG04 but I'm ready to send it all back. I had tried to purchase from SuperMediaStore but they no longer ship to APO addresses. If I'm missing something any help would be most appreciated. Running Win2000-SP4 with 1GHz Intel 768 ram.

2. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Just a follow-up:
    After researching a little I downloaded and installed DVD Identifier v3.4 and it stated also that its genuine RITEKG04. I also checked RITEK's site and downloaded their DVD-R/RW Compatibility Guild PDF, which says that my drive supports the media with the firmware that is presently installed. I have only had the drive for about 6 months and only use it for burning. I use a Sony DDU1621 for ripping, etc. Any idea's?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GeeDaddy,
    I've had some problems w/ ritek ridata g04's (branded) as well but didn't really want to say anything since so many people here praise em. The first batch burned w/o any problems but my next batch has been hit and miss. I can usually manage a descent burn if I slow to 2x instead of 4x. I switched to ritek dvd+r's (media code ricohjpnr01) and am booktyping them as dvd-rom. I have had perfect burns ever since. Although these are coded at 4x they burn great at 8x.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  4. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Mort81,
    Thanks for your imput. I think I should just send them back in exchange for some RITEK +R's for now. I shouldn’t have a problem from them. I only pursued RITEK from all the rave reviews I've read in the forums. I was using "Pengo" DVD-R with no problems, and can get them for $.35 a piece where I'm at. I'll try book typing to see if that helps. Maybe I'll just transfer this drive to my server and use it for OS back-up's and order the Sony Dual-Layer I have my eye on when my Birthday comes around.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GeeDaddy,
    Don't let only my experiences influence your decision. G04's have to be ok otherwise people wouldn't recommend them so highly. I have a lite-on dvdrw and they tend to prefer +r media. You might want to buy a sample pack to see what works for you before you dive off the deep end. Everybody has different setups and circumstances. Find something that works for you and stay with it. I have just had the best luck with ricohjpnr01's and they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other quality media. Taiyo Yuden is probably the best but a lot of people have good luck with Verbatum, Prodisc, Fuji, TDK, Sony, Maxell and so on. Here is a good media guide.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

6. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Mort81,
    Excellent media guide! You’re right about my needing to get a few sample packs and experiment. I would like to stick with the RITEK brand if at all possible. After perusing their site I think that their DVD+R would be better for me in the long run. I think that my drive might prefer DVD+R (multi-session) to DVD-R (multi-border). I also want to try Prodisk, as it seems to have a loyal following also. Anyone out there using the Optorite DD0401 that might be able to lend some insight?