1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Sectors ripping with MTR

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by jchamber7, Dec 25, 2004.

1. jchamber7

jchamber7 Member

When ripping with mtr I came across "dummy" vobs and bad sectors. I realize the disk may be protected with ARccOS and I was curious about the difference between padding and-or deleting these dummy vobs. aka if i want to compress burn what id my best plan of action, pad or delete? Any info or discussion?? thanks

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

3. Trier

Trier Member

I tried to rip a "bonus disc" of one DVD, which was under 2 GB.

MTR took a long time with "RCE", and then said "clear". Well, after ripping it, it warned about the "bad sectors", and the VIDEO_TS didn´t play on the DVD-player (computer).
    I then tried via external DVD-player/burner, and it did the same thing. This time the ripped VIDEO_TS started to play, but was all "mess", pixels etc.

I didn´t notice any scratches etc.

What could be wrong, and what is the "usual problem", when MTR gives "bad sectors"?

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Make sure you have the most recent version of MTR which right now is 2.6.3.

Get it here: www.speedisc.com/downloads

You may have an ARccOS encoded disc.

Do a search for ARccOS.

5. Trier

Trier Member

Thanks, but I use the latest version, and I just tried also with ARccOS. It gives tons of "bad sectors". I stopped the ripping, since it gave me nothing but bad sectors basically...

I also tried another disc (since I though that there was something wrong with MTR), and it went ok.

Disc itself seems to be just fine.

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Try ripping the whole disc and using dvd2onex in cell/chapter/layer mode. Then uncheck all the ones that are zero K.

Also perhaps check out www.ripdifferent.com and talk to Geezer or Wise Weasel who are the programmers of MTR.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  7. Trier

Trier Member

Thanks, I will try that. I own the original, so this isn´t the end of the world, but I thought maybe the guys from the MTR would like to know (I mean since MTR goes "crazy" with this DVD it seems, while it usually works fine).

8. Trier

Trier Member

Well, now it ripped the disc without "bad sectors" (it did "wait" quite a while before the process, when normally it scans it quite fast), but when I tried it with the computers DVD-player, it doesn´t work right. Picture is a mess, etc.

Since everything seems to be fine generally, it must be this DVD that is causing some problems..

9. hroiz

hroiz Member

Hi all, i just want to add some comments on this thread.

Almost 2 weeks and I still have the same problem when ripping my legally bought DVDs (region 0 (music), 1 (us), 4 (mexico)); every time after 25 min of ripping, MTR says "BAD SECTORS! -- This disc has bad sectors. All though the rip is complete, the rip may not playback. Please check prior to Burning" -- Well guess what, its true coz you cant play the movie in the Mac DVD Player or VLC or any other program; its not just one DVD.

I already tested around 10 DVDs and all are almost new (clean, no scratches, etc), tried Full Disk, Full DIsk with ARccOS, Main Feature, Main Feature with ARccOS, etc. and all the same errors.

I have been in communication with MTR staff (very nice and helpful guys) and they are trying to find an answer to solve this issue; I personally think it has something to do with the Region code of the DVD and the burner but im not that into mac stuff, so I hope somebody more involved with the ripping and burning process come up with a good idea.

Maybe its only in my case, but at least is good to know about some issues that can affect anybody.

Thanks

10. Trier

Trier Member

hroiz: How many threads do you planning to start? ;) ..

Ok, I did find the solution to my problem, and it was kinda strange:

I have 2 computer based DVD-readers:
    1) Internal in iMac
    2) External Lacie D2 reader/burner

Both of these had "region code" set to R2 (since I thought it don´t matter with MTR).

Well, I did have some other discs that gave me "bad sectors", but others were just fine. Then I got it: All the "bad sectors"-discs were R1, and all the R2/R0 -discs have been pretty much fine so far.

Well, I changed the "region coding" with the external reader/burner to R1. Then I tested 2-3 of those titles (including the first disc that just wouldn´t rip right before), all R1-discs, via external reader (now "region code R1"), and now they work fine (at least these 3 did).

I actually thought, that this "region coding" doesn´t matter, since basically you don´t have to "play the disc" with MTR, but at least in my case it does, so it seems.. I´m glad I have 2 readers.

Maybe this is one issue, that would be nice to "solve" in the next update or something?

I also have to add, that otherwise the MTR has been working great, so thank you guys (who made it). :)

edit: WiseWeasel, any comments on this "region code"-thing? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  11. Trier

Trier Member

12. Trier

Trier Member

Up.

Any comments on this "region code" issue when ripping?

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Can't you rip a region free version? Then it wouldn't matter. Or is it that it can't rip that region to begin with?

14. hroiz

hroiz Member

Thats right, can't rip that region to begin with, for example, my DVD Superdrive its set to Region 1, so if I try to rip a DVD Region 4, I get that error message.

15. Trier

Trier Member

I thought I was kinda clear on my earlier post.. Oh well. ;)

I can rip R0 and R2 with my iMac (region code: R2), and R0 and R1 with my external Lacie (region code:R1).

But I get potential "bad sectors", when I try to rip R1 with iMac (region code: R2).

Note, that it does the ripping every time, but then you get the "bad sectors" at the end (and the rip doesn´t work).

My question basically is, that "I thought that region code won´t matter when you just try to rip the DVD?"

Just wondering..

16. lainyjay

lainyjay Member

i have the same problem as hroiz.....bad sector notification. i would like to change my region code for my external lacie but am clueless. same with my imac internal. any help?

17. MrDoobs

MrDoobs Member

Hey everyone, I've been having the same problem as most of you are. Any movie that is Columbia Tri Star or has the prohibited slash over the dvd duplication symbol, has given me the bad sectors error. I tried ripping House of Flying Daggers and I am using MRT 2.6.6 with across enabled and it gives me a bad sector reading about 3 mins. into ripping. I am also using dvd backup and it also gives me an error reading. I am using dvd2onex 1.2 and nero plat. to burn.
    I also ripped Oceans's 12 and was able to burn onto the disc but playback on my dvd was not possible. I can play it back on my MAC though. Should I always keep the region on OFF or should I select 1?

Any suggestions to overcome this bad sector issue and the playback issue. I need MTR 2.7

18. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Have you taken the rip into dvd2onex and then selected cell/chapter/layer and DESELECTED the items that have 0.00?

19. MrDoobs

MrDoobs Member

Hey Media,

I havent tried that but I will tonight. Thanks I am using 1.2 dvd2onex. Should I automatically see the cells/layers and so forth or is there something I should be doing to enable this?
    Have you also heard of just playing the movie and will it is playing, start the ripping? Does this work.

Thanks alot, this webist is the shiznit. I was lost, but now I am found.

20. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

In dvd2onex you hit the "selections" button. Then cell/chapter/layer. Then UNCHECK all data that is zero.

Try that and check in dvdplayer before you burn a coaster.