1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad vob

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bob-mitch, Apr 10, 2004.

1. bob-mitch

bob-mitch Member

Hi all
    got a problem with a back up
    when i am backing up a disc it gets to 98.8% and fails to read the last vob
    when the disc is played very good quality BUT it appears to stop in the middle of the titles hence the bad read of the last vob file in question have tried dvd shrink,dvd de-crypter, alcohol 120%,record now max,clone dvd
    have run out of ideas anyone know how to repair/finish the vob in question
    have backed up countless dvd's without any major problems but this has nailed me

any ideas would be greatfully appreciated

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi bob-mitch,

I am interpreting your post:

This sounds like problem with the rip. The word that has me confused is "fails to read the last vob"

However if a failure occurred during the ripping process, an error message would be displayed and the process would end. You are apparently having this problem during the burn process and can play the copied disc.

The next part is more confusing:

So if the thing is failing at 98.8%, how could that be "in the middle of the titles"?

It would be helpful to know what program is running when the failure occurs at 98.8%.

For example if the failure occurred during the burn process, I would suggest using Shrink's custom size feature to reduce the size of the files being burned by 50 to 100 MB. I would also attribute the problem to bad media that won't burn to the outer edge of the disc.

3. bob-mitch

bob-mitch Member

the failure occurs during the rip at 98%-99% during the ending titles
    the disc is very playable but due to the problem occuring in the middle of the ending titles it dosn't affect the viewing on a stand alone player you just stop and eject as normal
    i am looking at ifo edit and vob edit but cant find any guides on these any ideas

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Just so I know we are talking about the same thing, when you refer to the end titles, you are referring to something like VTS_XX_X VOB (video title sets) and not the end credits right?

Is this the problem?:

The copy plays OK until the end of the movie and the end credits are being displayed. Then the movie just freezes and seems to lock up. The remote will not work except to eject the disc.

Am I on the right track?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If thats the problem, I would like to see what the post command for the last PGC looks like. It may be missing or inaccesable. BTW what movie is this, I may have it and can use IFOEdit to see what it ought to look like.

However if the problem lies at the extreme end of the movie and you don't mind losing any menus you may be using, you could try fixing it with Shrink.

Did you use Shrink or Decrypter to rip the movie?

6. bob-mitch

bob-mitch Member

yeah you got it fas frank
    its the ending credits i.e the vob file is not closed i think so can't rip it

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

This problem is very annoying, especially when the rip is at 98% !!!!.

One of my originals had this problem and I used this piece of apparatus to "cure" the read error. It's not guarnateed to work for you but it sorted my little situation.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/HardwareReviews/DrFixIt/DrFixIt.html

You could also set dvd decrypter to "ignore all read errors" & setting all read "retries" to "0". (in the I/O section of "settings") That may also help.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2004
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well apparently you were able to rip the entire movie, including a part of the damaged portion, otherwise you would not have been able to burn it and watch the thing up to the point where it freezes. The damaged VOB did rip, just not completly.

I would still very much like to know what programs you used to rip and burn this particular disc with!

I need to know this so I can come up with a solution. I have one using Shrink, but I don't know if you were able to use Shrink to create the current disc we have been refering to. Your first post listed more than one.

If you ripped this disc with Shrink, then I would like you to try something, If you did it with Decrypter or another program it will be a bit different.

9. RWG

RWG Regular member

Yo folks-

Sounds like an unreadable spot on the disk, be it original or backup. I bought the Matrix Revolutions 'n it would rip to 99% then CRC Error fail. Returned it and all is well.

Rip what you can with DVD Decrypter, don't throw away anything. See if the last VOB is the credits by themselves. If yes, and you can do without them, leave 'em off and try burning to a RW disc.

luck-

EDIT: Look at / watch your VOB files using Windows Media Player if you don't have another viewer.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD 2200+ Gigabyte GA-7VAXP RAID ATA100/133
    NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD+RW, PLEXTOR 40X CDRW & LITEON DVD-ROM
    1Gig PC2700, WinXP, SP1, Nero 6, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter[/small]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I think I'd try opening it with Shrink, Reauthor and use the start/end feature to cut out the bad spot and then burn it.
    If Shrink can't handle the bad spot, jumping over it with Decrypter would be the way to get the thing onto the hard drive, then just use the "open files" option.

11. bob-mitch

bob-mitch Member

thanks all

sorted it ripped it to the 98%-99% with alchol
    then just out of intrest tried to copy the mds and it writes and plays
    don't really make sense as the fact that the rip says fails indicated that it wouldn't write but it did even though the last vob is not complete it still writes the mds as far as it can which in this case was enough to make the disc watchable

12. john179

john179 Active member

Just out of interest going back to your problem has anyone tried the dvdxrescue as some people say it works.I don't know and would not mind knowing

Cheers

john179

13. bob-mitch

bob-mitch Member

Hi John
    yeah downloaded dvdxrescue worked spot on well worth keeping