1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

band new to this, please help me to understand

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by grundle, May 29, 2003.

1. grundle

grundle Member

Hi i am new but have a few Questions. before i use to download mpg files and burn onto a cdr (usually 2/3cds) as a svcd so i could watch on my home dvd player. sometimes i would download avi files and use tmpeg to convert them to mpg, then chop the mpg and burn to cd. however tmpeg is been crap recently converting avi (no sound or crashes half way through or it will be 50% done but finised the movie?) anyway i have now got a new sony dvd writer (does +and-R) and i want to know how to write the mpg files onto a dvd so i can watch it on my home dvd player (but not as a svcd but as a dvd) as not all players support svcd any help or step by step appreciated.

2. grundle

grundle Member

sorry forgot to ask, also when writting my d/l mpg onto a dvd is it possible to do menus etc.. like on a real dvd and ifso how hard is this?

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You will require authoring software.

Have a look at sonic.com - Mydvd is an authoring software.

You can put vcd/svcd onto dvd with menus/chapter points/buttons/even put on your own pictures.

Bit of headache to get your head around as the vcd/svcd format HAS to be in the correct format (ie compliant) and also the audio will get transcoded upto a higher sample rate thus increasing the overall file size.

You will still retain the original quality, and not improve it.

You will enjoy playing around with it though.

4. grundle

grundle Member

at the mo i use nero (5.5.7.2) (i think) to burn my svcd's its just simply select svcd from the menu and drag and drop the mpg then burn. But i dont see any dvd options... do i needa newer version or is there another way to make my svcd mpg's burn on a dvd?

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The version you are using is very old (which may not support dvd) - it is upto 5.5.10.28 now.(which does support dvd burning).
    Goto www.ahead.com and download the latest version - this should give you the ability to burn then providing you HAVE a dvd writer.
    I take it you have a dvd writer

Personally, I have only ever put vcd's onto dvd using Mydvd (sonic).

I have never used nero, cos it will only recognise vob/ifo/bup files to burn to dvd - that is why the mpg needs to be processed using a suitable authoring software, people say that they have managed to burn mpg to dvd WITHOUT processing but I cannot be sure this actually works.

Hope this helps.

6. grundle

grundle Member

where can i get mydvd sonic from?
    so i take it from what u say if i drag and drop a mpg in the new version of nero and burn to dvd it wont work?? or will nero convert the file for me automatically? what files would i want to convert it to to write on a dvdr? how long doesthe conversion process take? (on my old P600 it took 24hours to convert a avi-mpg and about 3 hours on my P2.5ghz) does it take that kinda time or not?

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Nero will not convert your mpg, it will only burn data, and their extensions, but I am pretty sure it will not work.
    Nero - to burn to dvd requires the files to have the following extensions:
    vob
    ifo
    bup

What you need is a dvd authoring program - I suggested Mydvd because it is the one I have/used.
    The mpg is made up of streams, generally an audio and video stream.
    The dvd has a more complexed structure in the form of vob/ifo/bup - where the vob is generally the video and audio streams.

Now your mpg needs to be converted to a vob/ifo/bup structure - only an authoring package can do this - nero cannot.

Have a look at www.sonic.com they should have all the information you need, I don't know if there is a trial available - however I do know it will cost you something.

There are also alot of software (demo's only) available at www.dvdrhelp.com - in the tools section (dvd authoring).
    This will probably be good for you to have a play around with.

The process is not a 5 minute job as you have to build the dvd - select a menu/buttons to use, drag the mpg into the program, then when your happy with previews etc, let the program generate the vob/ifo/bup for the dvd and then burn.
    The mpg does need to be in a compliant format though orelse you will probably need to re-encode it which will probably increase the time.

When I put 3 vcd's onto dvdr it took me approx 2 hrs form start to finish but that was first time.
    When I did it again, I had to re-encode the mpg to vcd compliant as it ws not compliant initially.

Anyway have a look at the 2 sites I suggested - best choice would be dvdrhelp.com for the trial softwares so you can play around with them before a purchase.

8. grundle

grundle Member

i will check those sites out.. i found a copy of sonicmydvd which was about 105meg? (not sure if that sounds right or not)
    how easy is it to merge 3 svcd into one file on a dvd?
    you mentioned a dvd is made up of vob/ifo/bup files and that vob is generally the video and audio streams. so what do the ifo and bup files do?
    also how easy is it to make the menus etc on a dvd can this just be an option or can you just do it so you stick the dvdr in and play the movie (just like svcd) so would you say about 2hours on average to conver a mpg or dvd?

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The ifo files - information, these files contain relative information about WHERE the information is located on the disc and also region coding etc.
    The bup files are just backups of the ifo files.

3 svcd's may be a problem - the problem YOU WILL encounter will be that for example a 700Mb video will be converted to approx DOUBLE size of 1.5Gb, this is due mainly to the audio being changed from 44Khz sample rate to 48Khz sample rate (dvd compliant), I have no idea of a workaround for that.....

If you have sonic, there is a very easy guide for it with the program.

You could have a menu with three buttons on it.
    Press one button and then could take you to a chapter selection screen etc.
    You can also insert chapter points in.
    You could put your own pictures on it as the menu backdrop etc.
    You can even have sound playing in the background etc.
    It is a very versatile program (for simple dvd authoring)

One thing to remember, is even though a blank dvd says it is 4.7Gb, actually it isn't, it is actually 4.37Gb approx.

It can be frustrating to start off with (I was) cos you want to get it right, believe me a little perseverance and you will get a good result - a fully authored dvd.

10. jiggaman

jiggaman Guest

I am very new to this and in fact just bought and installed my dvd burner today, it is an HP 300i. I was just wondering what I need to do to take movies I have downloaded that are DivX and burn them to dvd

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

12. grundle

grundle Member

i found out my dad has got sonic mydvd v4.0 today (doh) dont know if that latest version or not??
    anyway had a play around and designed a cover and menu music etc.. and then just selected the mpg file and imported it (which then created a box in the middle of the screen) i just cant see how to convert the file into vob/ifo/bup files. do u know what i should do? also after speaking to my dad he said he did a svcd to dvd the other day but on conversion to dvd it lost qulity so infact when playing the dvd against the svcd the svcd was better quality. did he do something wrong? setting or something?? (if u want or easier u can email me direct( grant.e.smith@ntlworld.com)

13. grundle

grundle Member

when i say designed a cover i meant background image. is it easy to create chapters (scene selections)?

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The coversion process is handled by the program - you don't do it yourself.

I use version 3 so it will probably be different to your version 4.

However there will be a guide on how to use it on the disc.

When I did it, you have to open a new project, select menus/buttons etc.
    Once you are happy with the layout, then import your selceted file.

Once you are happy with your project, you should be able to preview it (as if it was already complete), there should be an option to buid dvd - this will then generate the vob/ifo/bup files based upon your project.

Then all you do is burn - and you should then have the dvd.

The quality issue, I can't help you with I'm afraid.
    I must admit, I find it strange that the quality has reduced at all, should be 1:1.
    The only thing it could be is the bitrate was set too low, this would contribute to the reduction in quality.(you may need to reduce to fit them on, it is an option.)

Regarding inserting chapters, you should be able to preview the video and within the preview you should just be able to click on areas to insert a chapter marker.
    (make your chapter markers approx 5-8 mins apart, cos I had problems if they were any longer.

But have a read of the guide - really it is more fun_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I never did mind about the little things[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2003
  15. dvdmoron

dvdmoron Member

Hello. I have Sonic myDVD v. 4.5 which shipped with my Sony DVD RW drive. When I attempt to make a DVD from VHS, the final product plays fine on my PC, but when I play it on my home DVD player, there is no sound. I am using the Dazzle 80 hardware to capture the video from my VCR. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?