1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BAND OF BOTHERS HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jbrossar, Feb 22, 2003.

1. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Hi,

I am a rank newbie. I have used DVDXcopy to backup many of my DVDs with no problem. I am aware of the problems DVDXcopy has with some episodic DVDs, so I have tried various alternatives for backing up Band of Brothers.

I used the methof described in the following post: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16735
    To correctly back up episode 1, except I used GEARPRO6 instead of Nero. However, the previously mentioned post is not clear on a few critical points that prevent me from backing up Episode two.

Can someone please help me? I need to know specifically which files should be on the VIDEO_TS directory for the second episode. I think if I could figure out at least that much, then that would point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate your help.

2. mnmeater

mnmeater Member

If you have ifoedit you can find out which titles are played for the second episode. Use the play dvd button, then exit and it will tell you the titles. A second option is to use VOBrator and play the individual vob files and make note of which ones pertain to the second episode.

3. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Hello,

I was able to finally back up the second episode through trial and error. I could never figure out the significance of what I was being shown when I played and exited the DVD with Ifoedit. Now, I'm having trouble with Disc 5, (espisode 9). I can't seem to import the correct files into GearWorks. Can anybody Help?

4. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

I think I should be more specific about the problems I am having.

What I mean to say is that if I follow the EXACT same steps that I used with Disc 1 with Disc 5, I get errors when I import the IFOs, VOBs, and BUPs into GearPro. I suspect that I am missing some critical peiece of understanding about IfoEdit that would allow me to adpat this method for use with other DVDs.

I think the problem could be either when I choose which VobID to process with IfoEdit, or when I use the Get VTS Sectors command after I have processed with Ifo Edit.

In the first case, I was told previously to choose EITHER VobID1 or VobID2 which correspond to the two episodes on the disc, and then to copy all the xx_02_*.* files from the orginal ripped directory to the new one. Then I open the new VIDEO_TS file and perform a series of steps. However, there has been conflicting/unclear info about what this series of steps should be. In all cases, the problem is that I don't really understand fully what I'm doing. What I would give for a step-by-step instruction for each of the 5 Band of Brothers discs!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  5. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Nevermind, I finally figured it out myself! Anyone can email or post if they want help.

6. SpeciesX

SpeciesX Guest

Hi there m8ty my icq no is 74813949 and my msn is Snaffysnaf@hotmail.com and my Name is SpeciesX

Ive used DVD Decrypter then DVD2ONE then Nero cant remember the version anyway like u say i have no probs with part 1 of any of the episodes it always seems 2 be part 2 of the disc i cant can u help me i assume u have done it now and can help me out.

anyway hope u can help current dvd writer is Asus DVR-104 with 200gig of hdd space anyway hope u can help plz getback m8.

7. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Hi,

The method I used uses SmartRipper to rip the DVD, IFOedit to separate the Vobs, and Nero to burn the backup. You should downlaod these programs (trial versions are available) if you want to use the method I will describe. The only glitch is that I gave up on preserving the Field Guide. I was unable to make this work consistently. However, I WAS able to back up all episodes correctly.

I'm at work right now and my written instructions are at home. Let me know if you are still interested and I will post them when I get home in about 10 hours.

8. SpeciesX

SpeciesX Guest

Yes Plz m8 ide love that.

9. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Okay, will do when I get home. By the way, are you an Aussie or something?

10. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Okay, here is the method I used to successfully back-up Band of Brothers on 10 DVD-R media (1 episode per DVD) using SmartRipper 2.41, IFOedit 0.95, and Nero 5.5.9:

1. Create three directories on a drive with plenty of free space: temp, VIDEO_TS, and AUDIO_TS.

2. Follow all the instructions in step one of the following post to rip the entire original Band of Brothers DVD to your new Temp directory:(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16735)
    After completing this step, you should have between 15-20 files in this directory which add up to about 7GB of data. These numbers will vary slightly depending on the episode.

3. Start IFOedit. Click Open and select the VTS_01_0.IFO file from your new temp directory. The text of the file appears. Note that the text lists PCG_1 and PCG_2. These are the program chain 1 and program chain 2 that correspond to the two episodes on the DVD.

4. Click the Vob Extras button. The Vob Extras Options dialog box appears.

5. Make sure the following options are turned on:
    Strip VOBID's
    Correct Vob-Unit Pointers
    Correct Original IFO Files
    Auto-copy menu files to destination
    All Vob Expert options except RemoveIIvu/Angle Point

All other options use default settings.

4. In the Destination Directory box, select your new empty VIDEO_TS directory.

5. Click OK. The Stream List dialog box appears. This dialog allows you to specify which episode you want to put on the disc (VOBID1 = episode 1 VOBID2=episode 2 VOBID3 is not used).

6. Turn on either VOBID1 or VOBID2, depending on which episode you want to burn currently.

7. Make sure Correct IFO Tables is turned on.

8. Click Strip It. IFOedit begins to separate the episodes and copy the correct files to your VIDEO_TS directory. When this process is complete, you will have about 10 files totaling about 4.3 GB of data in your VIDEO_TS directory.

9. Close IFOedit.

10. Insert a blank DVD in your drive.

11. Start Nero.

12. Choose New (File menu). The New Compilation dialog box appears.

13. In the list box, select DVD and select DVD-Video in the list.

14. In the Multisession tab, select No Multisession.

15. In the ISO tab, select ISO level 1, Character Set Iso 9660, and turn OFF all Relax ISO Restrictions options.

16. Turn off Joliet.

17. On the Label tab, type a name for your disc (e.g., BAND_BROTHERS_D1).

18. Click New.

19. In the File Browser window, select your VIDEO_TS directory and drag it to the DVD Project icon in the ISO1_DVD window.

20. For compatibility reasons, drag your empty AUDIO_TS directory to the DVD Project icon in the ISO1_DVD window as well.

21. Choose Write CD(File menu). The Write DVD dialog box appears.

22. In the Write DVD dialog box, turn off the Simulation option and select the appropriate Write Speed for your burner and media.

23. Click Write. The DVD begins to burn. When the burning process is fully complete, Nero will eject the DVD.

24. Play the DVD and enjoy. Note that this method while preserving the menu, does not preserve the Field Guide or the functionality of the invalid menu (i.e., if you select episode 2 menu from the disc that only contains episode 1, the DVD will return to the prior menu).

25. Delete all the files in the VIDEO_TS directory and repeat steps 6-24 to separate and burn the other episode from the original disc. If you selected VOBID1 the first time for step 6, now select VOBID2 to run the same process for the next episode. Repeat this process for each disc in the Band of Brothers collection.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Let me know if you have any trouble and I will try to help.

11. SpeciesX

SpeciesX Guest

Thx m8 will try in a bit

but is it possible 2 copy part 2 of a double layer dis rather than the whole thing aswell sorry 2 keep asking guys but without knowledge u will nether get wisdom.

12. jbrossar

jbrossar Member

Yes, it is very possible. All you have to do is turn on VobID 2 in step 6, instead of VobID 1. VoBID 2 is the program chain for the second episode in all cases for band of brothers.

13. jonzg

jonzg Guest

Hi
    To copy the field guide, first you have to copy the vts_02_xx.* to the new VIDEO_TS folder, then you have to always select vobid 3 when selecting the episodes (select vobid 1 and 3 for one chapter, or 2 and 3for the other chapter). When you finish separating the two episodes with ifoedit, exit ifoedit and then use it again on any of the NEW ifo files (New VIDEO_TS folder )then get VTS Sectors.
    Bye