1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bangkok Dangerous

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by royalaser, Dec 23, 2008.

1. dragon987

dragon987 Member

mass props to all that mentioned re-author ... 1st person down to the last ... worked! not what i wanted (whole movie, w/o upgrade to software), but i'll take it ... ;-)

i love goin' old school between software (use it all) ... but never thought about old school method of re-author ...

good call!!! m-(_ _)-m

2. jmill130

jmill130 Guest

I still cant back this one up. I tried dvdfab hd 5.2.3.0 and it reads it fine with pathplayer disabled. I then tried vob blanker and vixVTS and then when i go into dvd shrink, you can see it hiccup during video preview. This usually means it probably will fail during burn. Anyone successfully back this one.

More detail how to get it work, with software versions would be appreciated.

I also tried dvdshrink 3.2 by itself as suggested and when i go to reauthor i get following error:

AppName: dvd shrink 3.2.exe AppVer: 3.2.0.15 ModName: mshtml.dll
    ModVer: 8.0.6001.18241 Offset: 00122e20

I also tried reinstalling shrink with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

3. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

If you read this thread, you will find the answer.

4. richmoral

richmoral Member

I just used DVD Fab Platinum 5.2.3.0
    Is using vob blanker and fixVTS ever even necessary?
    I've always used just DVD Fab Platinum or AnyDVD along with Shrink.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

richmoral,
    Why don't you read a little information about the topics that you asked the question to.

VobBlanker: http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/vobblanker.htm

FixVTS: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS

Shrink, Fab, CloneDVD, and many other, "One Push" programs are out their to transcode your DVD. However, none of these have the option to really go deep into the file structure of the DVD. They just tend to look at the surface content. Have you ever seen menu's within a file structure that have 45MB of information, but that are blank? Have you ever seen blank files at the end of the movie that are taking up space?

That is what VobBlanker, PgcEdit, and DVDRMP do. They are programs that allow you to remove that information to make the dvd smaller in size. It allows for less pixels, and a higher quality movie.

What I use:
    AnyDVD or DVDFab (Free Version) to rip
    DVDRMP to edit contents and change menu's
    DVD-RB to encode the movie using CCE
    ImgBurn to burn the movie

This is of course only needed if burning to a DVD-5.

6. richmoral

richmoral Member

I know that but I've never used the programs and have never had problems backing up movies to DVD5. And the few times I have it was just because my software wasn't up to date.

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

It really doesn't have anything to do with backing up the DVD. However, for use of cleaning the DVD Structure so that you may edit out unwanted material, you will sometimes need FixVTS.

The point is why backup a DVD Movie with all of the extras and dead space making the movie 7540MB and when you use Shrink, Clone, Fab, or any other tool, you are not able to remove all of the little problems and the best you can get is a movie that is 6850MB. That needs to fit on a DVD-5 which the maximum space I use is 4450MB. What will happen is the movie will have a very high compression ratio that will have viewing problems.

Another thing that VobBlanker and other programs do, they allow you to view the segments of the film. Sometimes you may have a perfect rip of the movie, but the extra features or bonus material is where there were problems. You have the option to edit out these little problems to make for a clean DVD before you burn it.

There are a lot of if's, and's, and but's, but that gives you the basic idea.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@syxguns

Since I do the movie only I rarely find much compression greater than 87% and most come out 100%. I rarely use anything but AnyDVD and Recode. They look damn good in HD. Not knocking your other programs as they are BETTER but I like easier, faster. JM2C. :)

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

garmoon,
    That is cool if you like to do movie only. I'm kind of a perfectionist and like my movies to contain menu's and links to material that select to keep, like deleted scenes. I don't knock anyone who makes backups movie only. I know a lot of people that do that.

Almost everything that I do may be done for free, but it takes a lot of programs to do it. With DVDReMake Pro, it takes the hassle out of the question. Of course that program is not free.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

yeah syx, I'm a lazy old fart and I never watch anything but the movie anyway. But I do realize I could be doing a better job of it with your tools.

11. jmill130

jmill130 Guest

this dvd is still wont backup for me. I have tried:

-dvdfad plat 5.3.2.0
    -dvdfab hd 5.3.2.0
    These wont read the dvd even if i click ignore

-dvdshrink
    Seems to work as described in this thread but you can see skipping during the preview, then when go to burn, no luck

-anydvd 6.5.2.2
    seems to rip it fine, take it into shrink to burn and same issue as above, can see skipping in movie during preview. Lost a few dvds already as it fails during burn.

I have also tried VOB blanker and FixVTS and no luck after running it thru shrink or anydvd. I have also tried another computer to see if it was my burner, no luck either..

I am missing something?

Could it be my dvd burner?

12. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

This movie was very easy. You must have a bad disc.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Wipe the big fingerprints off the disc or trade it in for one that was pressed properly! This movie is now easy if your stuff is up to date!

14. LSUTwice

LSUTwice Member

Others are correct, if your stuff is up to date you shouldn't be having a problem. The one thing that bothers me is the "skipping" problem. Is the "preview" function actually skipping, or is it freezing for a beat every few frames? Is it taking an abnormally long time to back-up your working dvd's? If you are running XP or older, this could possibly be a problem: http://winhlp.com/node/10.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

could be your ODD drive as you suggest. Do you have a spare you could put in or a friend with an external USB to try? If that works then you'll know and need to visit newegg.com for that new ODD for $30 shipped.

16. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

ok guys a little help here... i have read all the post and thx. to it i back up my bangkok movie using dvdfab hd decrypter 4 0 5 5 full disk and movie only... and im trying to shrink it i have dvd shrink 3 2... the problem its that it will not compres more than 98.9 % i tried fulldisc and the green part its at 4400 mb and the red part its at 5861 mb its set to automatic and if i try custom it will not go further than 98.9 % and with movie only green part at 4400 mb and redpart at 4653 mb... any help /advice plz...

17. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Is this a joke? You have to update the program! 4.0.5.5 version is not going to rip properly. Update Fab to 5.2.3.2 and try again! Here is a link to the free DVDFab HD http://dvdfab.com/free.htm

Edit: Sorry, I just thought it was strange that you are using an old version! Update it regularly.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  18. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

Quote:
    Is this a joke? You have to update the program! 4.0.5.5 version is not going to rip properly. Update Fab to 5.2.3.2 and try again! Here is a link to the free DVDFab HD http://dvdfab.com/free.htm

Edit: Sorry, I just thought it was strange that you are using an old version! Update it regularly.

ok, first of all I do have the dvd fab hd 5 2 3 2 version and others, and they did not worked, it just keeps scanning and never finishes... the 4 0 5 5 version its the one i use the most with almost no problem at all most of the time... so thats the one (4 0 5 5) that worked and works for me... now can you, or anybody else help me?...

19. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I ripped mine to the HDD with latest Anydvd ripper, then transcoded with dvd shrink. No probs

20. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Do you have a different drive to try it on? It could be a couple of things. It could be a bad press on the DVD, or it could be that the DVD drive that you are using is not up to date with the latest firmware.

Go to http://slysoft.com and download a trial version of AnyDVD. To keep the program, which I recommend you will need to purchase it. If you purchase it make sure to purchase the HD version. They changed their currency to Euro, so it's like 70 or 80 bucks US. However, the trial version will work for now.

After the movie is ripped you shouldn't have a problem with DVD Shrink, if that is the way you want to go. I personally don't transcode movies, I encode instead. Better quality, unless the file is small.

To find out what your current firmware is on your drive do the following:

1) Open My Computer
    2) Right click the DVD Drive and select Properties
    3) You will see a tab at the top called Hardware. Select that tab.
    4) In the list find your drive, select it so that it is highlighted and then hit the button that says Properties.

On the General Tab you will see the name of your drive and the version number will be displayed at the end of it. You may paste that here and I will see if there is an update to your current firmware.

This will at least get the ball rolling.