1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bangkok Dangerous

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by royalaser, Dec 23, 2008.

1. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

hi, thx for the help... yes I have the original cd/dvd that came with my comp, I'll replaced it and see if it works... whats the differencebetween transcode and encode... and what's program/s do u use to do that?... thx again...

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You may try a different DVD drive to see if that works, but a firmware update may also fix the problem that you are having with you current DVD drive.

Transcoding:

Transcoding is the direct digital-to-digital conversion of one encoding to another. This is usually done to incompatible or obsolete data in order to convert it into a more suitable format. When transcoding one lossy file to another, the process almost always introduces generation loss.

The key drawback of transcoding in lossy formats is decreased quality.

In such a case, compression artifacts are cumulative; therefore transcoding causes a progressive loss of quality with each successive generation (this is known as digital generation loss). For this reason, it is generally discouraged unless unavoidable.

It is better to retain a copy in a lossless format (such as TTA, FLAC or WavPack for sound), and then encode directly from the lossless source file to the lossy formats required.

Likewise for image editing, one is advised to capture images in a raw image format, and edit (a copy of) that image, only converting to other formats for distribution.

Encoding:

Encoding is the process of transforming information from one format into another.

With CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) you may have single pass or multi pass. The multi pass feature does take twice as long, but you will see a significant difference in the quality of the DVD. I for one notice those little pixels on the screen.

HC Encoders offer the same with the multi pass feature, but they are slower. However, CCE cost around 1000 to 2000 bucks! HC Encoders are free. Many people use HC Encoders instead of CCE.

Another difference that you will not notice in your typical movie is speed rate. If a movie has a lot of fast action the Encoder will pick this information up and give perfect quality. In a slow movie without fast action then you will never really notice a difference.

Transcoders tend to skip small segments of the film, especially when it is a fast action fight scene. Encoders however, capture every aspect of the scene.