1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

banning of online backups: disc ID or machine ID?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by h8red, Aug 22, 2004.

1. h8red

h8red Member

OK, I've seen conflicting reports, and would like to get it cleared up once and for all.

Should I risk using backups of my original games and their disc id's in order to preserve my original games, or are using the backups "100% safe" as long as it's with my own disc id's?

I'd rather use backups, because I've had too many games get scratched up and ruined, but I'm afraid of what some people say about your ps2's machine id getting banned. If just the disc ID gets banned, then it's not that big of a deal because I could get one of the other disc id's from another game I own, but then again, I don't see how this could get banned either since I own the original.

Does this make sense?

Is it just the disc ID that DNAS kicks, or are they actually killing systems? On this forum, I've seen both answers, and just wanna be safe.

Also, anyone have any idea when ps2ownz will open back up registration so I can get a copy of disc id inserter? They seem to be THE place where everyone links to.

Thanks in advance.

2. dark_in

dark_in Regular member

its 100% safe if its your own game, and only you have the copy, and disc id. Your ps2's id gets banned when many people with the same disc id is online at the same time. So no need to worry, dont distribute your disc id, game, or backups. Disc id's only work for the same game, so a SSX 3 disc id would not work with Socom II. And the back up needs to be from the same disc of the disc id. So, rip your SSx3 (just an example of a game) to your harddrive on the pc. Then get the disc id of your SSX3, then patch your SSX3 file on the pc with your disc id. Then burn the patched file on the pc to a dvd or cd, depending on the game.

Im not sure if the Disc ID is what DNAS kicks, I never had that problem.

Register with ps2nfo.com then in 5 days you can post in the forums of ps2nfo, and ps2ownz because they are both runned by the same forums basically.

good luck. i hope this helps you

3. nivek41

nivek41 Member

That is untrue about what was stated about the disc id. You can take a valid disc id and use it on another game. Your best bet is to never get a disc id off of an internet site. You should take a disc id off of an original online game that you own and write it down. Use that disc id on whatever online backup that you want to make. This will ensure that nobody else is using the disc id besides yourself.

4. dark_in

dark_in Regular member

really? I thought you cant go online with the another disc id that isnt from the same game. can anyone else confirm this?

5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i beleive it is true that you CAN take a disc ID from a game such as SSX 3 and use it on socom II. havent tried it myself but i have heard it works. try checking out this post... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/99724
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  6. h8red

h8red Member

Many thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
    I wanted to make sure that if I leant a game to a friend, and without me knowing, they made a copy and took my ID, that if we both happened to be on, we would both be banned. However, hearing that it takes many people sharing a key, I feel better. (Not that I don't trust my friends, but stranger things have happened)

Also, I was paranoid about playing rented games online as well, because if someone else had happend to rent it and taken the disc id, then I'd be screwed, even though I was using an original disc.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  7. dark_in

dark_in Regular member

It'd be a rare ocasion if someone rented the same game you backed up, and you two were both online at the same time. But, I dont think having 2 disc ID's at the same time will get you banned, possibly 3 or 4 disc ids at the same time. But Im not too sure about this, so try not to share your disc id.