1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic DVD .vob to standard .avi

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by firepower, Aug 31, 2002.

1. firepower

firepower Guest

I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to DVD ripping. I've read most of the FAQs and have experimented a little bit with some of the software such a Smartripper, DVD2AVI, etc.... I can get the .VOB files off of the disk okay but I can't seem to get to where I need to end up: A standard, Microsoft-type .AVI file (29.97 fps with audio) that I can use in a video editing program like Adobe Premiere. (DVD2AVI only seems to work if I output to MPEG4 and then there's no audio).

Can someone give me (or point me to a location of) SIMPLE, STRAIGHT-FORWARD step-by-step instructions to accomplish this (without all of the "options")? Again, I just need to go from a a DVD .VOB file to a standard, self-contained .AVI file.

Thanks.

2. BigTNJ

BigTNJ Guest

I am curious about this as well, but I would like to get to an MPEG-2 file with audio and the exact MPEG characteristics as the VOB.

3. Shagrat

Shagrat Guest

I´ve been trying this recently with TMPGEnc with decidedly mixed results. Some vob files convert to mpeg smoothly with comparable audio/video quality to DVD, other mpegs have no audio and others only appear to encode parts of the vob file and all attempts to rectify this problem manually fail.

Any ideas?

4. BigTNJ

BigTNJ Guest

It looks like I found one solution. Here is an update from my fiddling over the weekend.

You can get the VOBs using SmartRipper.

Then you can demux the VOBs using VobEdit. That gives you an m2v file with the mpeg2 video and an ac3 containing audio.

TMPGEnc has a remux capability in MPEG Tools. Give it the m2v and the ac3 file. The result is an MPEG2 with the audio track containing which plays the movie with exactly the same quality of the dvd.

I think this will only get you the first audio track in the ac3 file because TMPGEnc did not allow the selection of a track from the ac3 file. You could probably select another track by using DVD2AVI to extract the track you want as a wav file and use that in TMPGEnc.

Playing the resulting mpeg file required that I upgrade to the latest WinDVD player. The old one would not play the movie properly. Apparently the studio use advanced encoding features. The reader must be up-to-date.