1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basic PC information

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sorrow93, Feb 3, 2007.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I hope this is the right forum for this question -
    I bought my PC about six months from a PC shop that subsequently closed I have no way of contacting them for info. Can anyone decypher the limited info I have on my system some of it is clear the rest is just code to me - anything negative or positive is welcome I paid $990 in all (australian) for this system here are the details I have:

335J Celeron 2.8GHZ 533MHZ FSB 256K LGA775
    ASUS P5S800 VM Series
    Socket 775 800FSB
    8xAGP onboard VGA & sound
    6xUSB ports
    RAM 512MB PC3200 DDR400
    HARD DRIVE Seagate 160GB 7200rpm
    Video Display 6 Channel Sound 10/100 network
    3 x PCI & 1x8 speed AGP ports

I have left out the other details such as monitor and 56 modem etc.
    was this a fair purchase?
    can the afterdawn addicts fill me in on some of the details?

2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i used a money converter and it turned out to 766.758 USD for whats in there it seems kinda expensive to me but then again buying things from shops always goes like that.

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

yes probably paid extra it *was* a reputable shop they had been in business for over ten years but another one bites the dust.
    the warranty luckily is still covered because they own a separate laptop shop *phew*
    it was the complete package monitor keyboard mouse microsoft standard... any insight into the numbers and meaning?
    I know it's a decent motherboard ASUS are pretty good.
    kinda wish I could have got duo-core

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

im not sure i fully understand your question.

are you asking if you have been ripped off?

im in the uk and downunder like us you seem to pay more for things than they do in the states, life sucks like that.

your machine is a low spec modern machine, add a 1950pro agp card in it and it will play all the games that are out, it has enough power to do everything else you can throw at it. it wont set any benchmark world records but it will work.

to compare it a machine like that in the uk with a screen and all the other bits you need will cost you around £450/£500. not sure how that converts to aus $ but its around $900 us. another comparison, 7600gt $150 (us) or £110 which converts back to around $200 us.

another thing is you would of saved some cash by building it yourself or maybe got a slightly better spec for the same money.

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@marsey99
    sorry I tend to babble ... my main purpose is to find out what most of the numbers and codes really mean I think I got a fair price it would be better if we lived in the states lol cheaper.
    I just don't know alot of info about my system apart from the brief records that I posted.
    I am using it for basic purposes such as cd-r and dvd burning and low level digital photography + basic internet.

6. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Not prepared to discuss pricing. The machine seems good enough for most tasks except high intensity video gaming. You did not mention you do that. Adding more RAM should help all around for you; recommend 1gb (thats like two of your 512mb numbers).

Celeron is a lower processor than Pentium.
    ASUS makes motherboards.
    6xUSB ports - you got 6 of them.
    RAM 512mb PC3200 DDR400 - amount of ram and speed rating; not bad, faster is available.
    Hard Drive - size and speed; Seagate is mfgr.
    Video Display - sound and network info; indicates you should have a high speed port for DSL.
    Number of PCI slots and AGP slots for things you can plug in; like sound, video cards, etc.

7. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

the price was not relevant perhaps I'll blame 1am and being tired.
    thankyou Rulisky for that info and 1gb of ram is my next option :)
    I don't use this system for gaming nor do I plan to.
    thankyou to the people who got back to me so quickly
    off to sleep

8. bkf

bkf Guest

Seems like an ok price when you consider you don't have to mess around with recovery discs and partitions. Asus and Seagate rock. What I use. Your fine IMHO

9. klassic

klassic Regular member

This is a little misleading. Yes, there is faster memory out there, but not for Motherboard/Processor he has. PC3200 is the fastest you can get for DDR memory, and the fastes his motherboard can support.

10. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Just trying to indicate that other choices do exist. Whether it would be for this setup or not.

11. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@bkf
    I had a seagate HD on my first PC I do believe they are pretty good and the ASUS motherboard box says "The worlds No.1 Motherboard Manufacturer" which is a pretty big claim but if you have the goods I guess a company can be slightly arrogant lol.