1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Ps2 questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jazzsnob, Mar 31, 2007.

1. jazzsnob

jazzsnob Member

I'm sure I'll get heavily flamed for being a newbie and not reading pages of faq's first, but here goes.

1. can you use swap magic in -any- way w/o having a mod chip in your ps2?

2. will swap magic allow me to play bootleg/downloaded ps2 games from bittorrent?

3. what would you recommend as the easiest/cheapest way to play downloaded ps2 games?

2. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

Answer to Q1:

Yes, swap magic can be used without a modchip ( a bought copy, not a downloaded one). BUT.... u will need a swap method. ie. slide tool or flip top cover for FAT PS2's. or magic keys2/magic switch pro v3 to block the sensors in Slimline PS2 or flip top cover for Slimline PS2.

Answer to Q2:

Yes, swap magic (bought copy) will load burnt/backed up copies of PS2 games, as long as u use a swap method (mentioned above) so the ps2 doesnt realise u have swapped discs.

Answer to Q3:

Swap magic is cheapest, Swap magic costs between 35 & 50 Australian dollars. shop around first, and the swap mthod u use can range from free (make ur own slide card for fat ps2) up to $30 australian dollars for a flip top case (slim or fat ps2)

modchip is easiest, no swapping or mucking round with trying to block sensors, just put game in and play! BUT..... there is risk of damage to ps2 due to fake or faulty modchips, bad install of modchip by in-experienced persons, not to mention warranty void (if u care about that).

IF u r new and dont have alot of cash, i'd say have a go with swap magic. if u have to cash and dont mind a slim chance of bisting the ps2 get it modded.

for burning ps2 games, and alot of other useful knowledge. there is a compilaton of tutorials here

Unofficial PS2 Guide

download revision 1, it will contain just about every tutorial u'll need to know.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

1. can you use swap magic in -any- way w/o having a mod chip in your ps2?

YES, but a good modchip is better and easier.

2. will swap magic allow me to play bootleg/downloaded ps2 games from bittorrent?

YES, once you figure out what your doing, how to get the ISO file out of torrents, how to burn them, what media to use and so on.

3. what would you recommend as the easiest/cheapest way to play downloaded ps2 games?

Easiest, Swap Magic (and one other mod because Swap Magic alone can not play back up games)
    Slimline = Swap Magic and Magic Keys II
    Fat model = Swap Magic and a fliptop (or slidecard if you are really cheap and do not mind possible screwing up your DVD drawer)

Best way, have a good mod chip soldered in, DMS4 Pro SE, Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infinity green dot. A mod chip is better on pretty much every level.

4. jazzsnob

jazzsnob Member

Well I'm definately not putting a mod chip in and possibly ruining my ps2.

Can you give me some clarification on what magic keys is?

Also what is the difference between back-up games and the .iso ones posted on bittorrent?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

any game you copy to a blank DVD is a back up game, in other words not the original disc.

I did not mean put a mod chip in yourself, i mean send it to a professional and have it installed (in th USA Teammodders.com)
    If you want to deal with Swap Magic be my guest, but don't blame me when your sorry later.

Magic Keys II are used in slimline PS2 systems to hold down certain Sensors inside the system which will allow you to open the lid to swap the swap magic disc for your back up copy without the PS2 resetting.
    You can also get a swap magic and magic keys combo at the site i listed above in the modchip store section. This site shows you what they do.
    http://www.magickeys.net/MagicKeys 2.html