1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basic question - want to make sure

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mgs937, Jan 27, 2004.

1. mgs937

mgs937 Member

i just wanted to make sure how copying dvd's really work. is it just like copying cds', which you just put the one you want to copy and it'll copy to the hardrive, then you insert the blank and it'll copy from the HD to the blank dvd? thats it? thanks

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

in a word no!!

a comercial dvd is encrypted so it cant be copied, without a little bit of freeware, like say, dvd shrink.
    its a very simple program to run using this informative guide and the right burning program you cant go wrong....http://www.dvdshrink.info/

im assuming you have a dvd burner?

i just started backing up my dvds when i got a burner for christmas and this is the only program ive needed to use.
    i havent had any problems with it whatsoever,i use nero to burn the files and it makes a beatiful copy.
    you can also configure the latest dvd shrink to work together with your burning program to eliminate human error.

the only problem i had was that roxio came with my burner and as scuba pete will tell ya,roxio and nero dont play well together!!

you can find the download on the above link and it also has guides on how to burn.

you can try nero for 30 days free!

the more experienced members here can tell you about many more programs to get the job done,i learned from this forum about dvd shrink and nero, and i say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

theirs lots of very friendly ppl on this forum that can answer all your questions!

keep us posted and well do all we can to help!

just a newbie like you

jim_dandy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You can encrypt a DVD-5 (under 4.37Gb) with DVD Decrypter to HDD & then burn using same prog...

But most are over 4.37Gb , even after extracting extras/menu so slight compression is needed & this is where DVD Shrink / DVD2One for instance come into it.

Guide for DVD Shrink (which as Jim quite rightly stated is freeware - best price there is [bold]lol[/bold] ) : http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php
    DVD Decrypter guide for DVD-5 (Under 4.36Gb): http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr_page_2.cfm

If any more help is need then just holla , although there are some handy guides out there ;-)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    There's only one team in London ... Gooners !![/small]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004