1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD RB Movie Reencodes That Succeed or Fail Archive

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, May 5, 2009.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The purpose of this thread is to help create a list of movies that have been successfully backed up using BD RB, or inversely to provide a list of those attempts that have failed. The time it takes to reencode a movie can vary greatly depending on the speed of ones system, but regardless it will take more than 4 hours with most Blu-Ray movies even on a fast system. On a fast dual core system a reencode can take 7 or more hours, and if one has but a single system then they will get no more than one or two tries in a 24 hour day.

Archiving movie reencodes could save us all time by providing us with information to help us to select only those movies that have a proven track record of success, and to avoid those that fail. Some movies will no doubt work for some but not for others which could help us point to common setup or system issues to get them on track. This will not only save time in the present but it will also provide feedback to jdobbs so that he can find a fix for those that have failed on all systems. To get this right we have to adhere to some standards. I will list some points that I think is important but they need not be the only points so suggestions as to how we can improve the thread are welcomed.

For movies that have been successfully reencoded we will need this information:

1. Name of movie, region, and version, e.g. extended cuts.
    2. Disc reader such as LG or Lite-On and method used to rip it to ones hard drive, e.g. AnyDVD HD.
    3. How it was tested for playback such as PC, or home unit make and model.
    4. Type and make of disc it was burned to e.g. BD-5,BD-9, or BD-25.

For movies that have failed we will need some of the info above plus some extra depending on whether it failed to reencode or just failed to playback on a particular playback unit.

1. Tell us if it played back on a PC drive but not in a standalone unit
    2. Make of unit that it wouldn’t play back on
    3. Encoding system specs including if it is overclocked and how it is cooled.
    4. Issues during initial setup if any that might lead to a cause.

More will be added to the above requests over time either through suggestions or because it came up in discussion. Please, let’s try to keep the thread clean of unnecessary chat discussions although a friendly line or two in a legitimate post is encouraged.

I will make a second post below this one that will be used to list our outcomes so that in time one can quickly check back and review it. Summer is coming and I am seasonally employed and off for a couple of months. I also have a very fast dedicated BD encoding system so I will be able to test failures as often as I can Q9550@3.741 GHz, and my main system Q9650@3.94 GHz.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The list of movie success will be archived in this post.

10,000 BC region 1 succeeded

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The list of failed reencodes will be archived in this post.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

10,000 BC region 1 succeeded. Ripped with LG BD drive and AnyDVD HD. It was then reenecoded to a BD-5 (1080P 640kbs audio), burned to a Ritek BD-5. No visual artifacts when played back on HTPC only using Power DVD 8 Ultra and Arcsoft TMT 2.1.6.130. No audio or visual video errors.

5. binmax

binmax Regular member

Alright Sophocles,

Desktop specs:
    CPU: Phenom 940 Quad
    Drive: LG GGW-H20L
    Cooling: Thermaltake (6) Antec 120mm fans
    Temps on full load: 54 Celcius

Here is the list of Blurays I have successfully encoded with BD-Rebuilder. All movies are ripped with AnyDVDHD. Encodes are averaging around 6 hours each. All burns are to DVD9 Sony Discs. All discs have been played on the PS3.

30 Days of Night - 21 - 40 Year Old Virgin - Grease - Hancock - Hellraiser - Iron Man - Memento - No Country for Old Men - Pearl Harbor - SpiderMan 1,2,3 - Superbad - The Prestige - Transformers - Twilight - Wanted - XMen 1,2,3

These are the movies that BD Rebuilder fail to encode:

300 - Animatrix - Batman Begins - Blow - Faces of Death - Gone Baby Gone - Matrix 1,2,3 - Pan's Labyrinth - Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1975 version) - The Dark Knight - Wedding Crashers

Looks like at a 62% success rate. :)

Are their other users having the same issues? I am assuming there will be patches made to update the encoding for some of these movies. It is weird when 3 or 4 will work and then 1 doesn't. Does this have to do with the manufacturer putting different encryptions on each disc?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. binmax

binmax Regular member

Are people posting their successful encodes or what? I would like to know what movies users are having problems with, so I am not wracking my brain out wondering if I am doing something wrong.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There will be more posts in time, but remember there will be variations in what is a success and what is not. Things always start a little slowly when new methods of video backup becomes available, but after a time they will begin to evolve more quickly.

I have several that I am going to add to the mix but I need to test them a bit to determine their degree of compatibility. For now time is rather limited due to winding down the work year but in a couple of weeks I will loads of time.

8. binmax

binmax Regular member

I am more interested in knowing whether movies are being shrunk down to the 8gb/25gb disc sizes with rebuilder or not. I am not to eager to know compatibility of each player. I more curious to see why certain movies work with rebuilder and why some don't.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So far I've been shrinking my movies down to standard DVD-5 and DVD-9. I've had excellent results with DVD-5 which I suppose shouldn't surprise me since that is enough to make a standard DVD without compression, and H.264 is 3 to 4 times as efficient. If a movie is less than 2 hours in length then I generally try for type 5, but it also requires some reduction in audio quality. In blind tests few people can hear the difference between 448 kbs audio when compared to HD audio and it is doubtful that anyone can hear the difference between 640 kbs over HD audio.

I've been spending a large portion of my time reencoding HD DVD to Blu-Ray since there are a lot of HD DVD releases that are going for really low prices. I've also completed a fair number of Blu-Ray movies and I will be releasing the info as soon as I have time to thoroughly test my results to insure that everyone will experience success. I know that it's easy to get frustrated because of the time involved, but then I remember a time before DVD burners when it used to take over 8 hours just to complete a DiVx/Xvid reencode.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  10. coorva

coorva Regular member

this is great,,the only problem im having is when i go to open up a new project,,and it says select a BD file,,wont see anything to load up,,went into the stream folder cause thats were the BD files are,,rebuilder wont see any of them,,something im missing,,cheers

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

So far everything has worked perfect except:

1) Planet of the Apes, the original one w/C. Heston. Everything worked but no audio on movie, just everything else (special features, previews, etc.). Redid it w/movie only option and it worked perfectly.

2) The Thing by John Carpenter-exact same problem but it didn't work when done w/ movie only option, no audio at all. The audio did work on the first entire disc backup on PC, using Power Dvd 9, but didn't when burned to disc.

3)Lastly, Pearl Harbor-picture freezes in 2nd or 3rd chapter til end of movie but audio works all the way through. Results the same in movie only mode.

These were all played in a Sony BDP-S350, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sylvania NB501SL9, and A PS3. All were burned to a Verbatim or Ridata DL disc. Used a Dell PC w/ Intel Core 2 Duo Q9300 processor, 4g of Ram, and ripped to hard drive w/AnyDvd HD.

BTW, I noticed that binmax had problems with The Dark Knight and 300, I backed up both of those successfully using BD-RB and AnyDvd HD.

binmax, did you do full backup or movie only mode?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've done several BD movies but many were before this thread was started and I have to go back and re-guess my settings before posting.

I've just competed the Movie "Eagle Eye" to a single layer disc.

Region 1, ripped and burned with LG drive. Played back only on my PC using the same LG drive and Arcsoft TMT. The quality was amazing for a single layer disc. No visible artifacts, stutters, or skips.

13. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

Don't go to the STREAM folder. BD-RB wants you to point at the whole BD, not one of it subfolders. Point to the folder that contains BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

14. binmax

binmax Regular member

I have encountered a new error from Microsoft. When I am using BD-RB to compress the 41Gb Wolverine bluray down to a 25Gb file, I receive a x264 error from Microsoft. I am doing movie only mode, and it gets about 20 seconds into the encoding process and then that's when the Microsoft window pops up.

Has anyone encountered this one yet?

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'll be doing that movie in the next week or two, I'll let you know.

16. DFeKTiVe

DFeKTiVe Member

The Dark Knight (movie only)Failed to play back on my Samsung BD-P 3600. It played back fine on my Blu Ray PC LG GGW-H20L. Was ripped using ANYDVD HD. Burnt on a SONY BD-R 50GB using IMGBURN.

17. SLOVEHEAR

SLOVEHEAR Member

Big O:

well I just got the sony bdp-s360 and yes it plays bd rebuilder full backup encoded to dvd9 - unlike my panasonic (panasuck) bd80, but in your post you said updating firmware could cause playability of disks like these to go up in smoke as they try to stop folks from playing their 'disks'. I also have a panasuck digital camera, and although it wasn't my particular model - they came out with a firmware update which only allows one to use 'genuine' panasonic batteries, which cost a mint; nowhere was any notification of this - a month or so later, obcurely they put a message that the fw update did this - citing that third party batteries can be 'dangerous'.

So I agree that fw could be a bad idea, more that I am now worried that I shouldn't update the fw that is in the player now - 002 to 006 - in case your right in this case - that I could lose the whole reason I bought the player to begin with. I am just writing to say yeah, thanks for putting that out there and do you really think that it could end up a disaster, I do know that some playablility issues do get fixed with fw updates, so I am just in a dilemma now...

Damned if you do and damned if you don't - I don't like it...

18. SLOVEHEAR

SLOVEHEAR Member

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

SLOVEHEAR:

You're right but here's the thing, I haven't had any playability issues yet so I'm gonna do the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" theory and cross that bridge when we get to it. Seems to me we're not getting issues until we update. Anyway, I'm glad your Sony's working for ya.

20. SLOVEHEAR

SLOVEHEAR Member

Good thinking - you just made my mind up I'll wait till it's 'broke' then think about updating, the Sony loads allot faster than the Pana BD80 too. just a better experience. The Panny had a nice picture though, but the sony does have more options for that too. Panasonic is just a hard nut to crack... I hope I didn't go wrong buying a Panny Plasma tv too. ha