1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD to HDD as backup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by seanymac, Dec 13, 2009.

1. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

If you have a codec pack, try uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest codec pack. Either k-lite or CCC pack (combined community codec pack). I use CCC pack. That should install all filters you need.

@seanymac
    Try reading through this:
    http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Rip_Blu-ray_to_MKV_files_19862345

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. djplegend

djplegend Guest

If you merely want to store Blu-ray movies on your HDD and watching on computer (or on TV via HDMI), there is no need to store in .m2ts format.
    MKV is a preferred format for HD videos, much smaller and almost keeping the original quality.
    Try this Blu-ray Ripper edited by ddp, quite powerful, and supports comprehensive output formats.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
  3. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

seanymac, I updated my method. I realized that it was confusing and I was explaining it wrong. That's my fault. What I was doing and how I was explaining it were 2 separate things. I corrected my method in the previous posts. Sorry about that. Hope you found one way or another to achieve your results.

Latest Backup - Glory Road
    Audio - LPCM Bitrate: 6912Kbps; Channels: 5.1 - 6GB
    Video Stream - 14GB
    Total movie size approximately 20GB

Step 1: Open m2ts in tsmuxer and deselect all but the main video stream. Check the m2ts muxing option and click "Start Muxing"

Step 2: With the original m2ts file still open, deselect all but the audio stream. Check the Demux option and click "Start Demuxing."

Step 3: Encode your new m2ts video stream using meGUI and the profile of choice. Choose mkv as the output.

Step 4: I chose to compress the LPCM audio stream to DTS, since it was 6GB. I did this using ea3cto. My new DTS stream come out to only 1.3GB.

Step 5: I then used mkvmerge to merge together my new mkv video and my new DTS audio stream.

Total process time - 2.5 hours. (2 hours encoding and the rest for remuxing, merging and compressing audio.

Final movie size (1080p) - 8.5GB (from 20GB source).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  4. seanymac

seanymac Member

emugamer, I will try this in the next couple of days. I was having a setback with MeGUI. It wouldn't let me open the m2ts, it would shut down with an error. I'm going to try one more time and if it doesn't work I'm going to stick with blu-ray rebuilder. I'm assuming that I didn't download the profiles or codecs, but I'm not sure. Do you run Vista? I've read some interesting articles about MeGUI having problems on Vista.

5. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I used meGUI in Vista though. I had Vista 64, but ran the 32bit codec pack. When installing k-lite, they themselves recommend that 64bit users also install the 32bit drivers because of known issues.

I would recommend uninstalling whatever you have and reinstalling a new codec pack. Also make sure you install AVIsynth.

6. trouble90

trouble90 Member

Have you tried DVD FAB? I use it to rip my blu rays to my HDD and watch with VLC media player on my media center. It seem's to do OK.

7. seanymac

seanymac Member

Jerecho did you ever figure out how to get around that error message on MeGUI? I am having the same problem.

8. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but which is the main video file? I'm trying to rip District 9 and have it opened in tsMuxer but there are PGS files and there are "Presentation Graphic Stream" files. Not sure which I need to open to mux.

9. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

It's not PGS. Look at the attached picture. It should look like the top stream.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2708/capturexd.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Ahhh, ok. Thanks a bunch!

11. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Ok, now I'm having problems getting my settings right on MeGUI. When I go to browse for the avisynth scripts, I don't find any anywhere. I go to the profiles folder and all of the scripts are in .xml format. Is there something I missed?

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

You do know that you can simply extract the AC3 core from a TrueHD stream, right?

emugamer, 2.5 hours is extremely fast, even on one of the new i7 Quad Core CPU's. I gather you are doing constant quality 1 pass encoding? Personally, I always prefer to do a slow 2 pass method and aim for an exact specified target. Usually 8152MB for a DVD-9. I find these encodes are virtually indistinguishable from the original. I have an overclocked Q6600 (quad core running at 3.2GHz) and a 90 minute 1080p movie usually takes about 8 - 10 hours.

It looks like you are giving good solid advice here. It's great to see other methods being used and brainstorming ideas.

That I can't believe on a dual core... Unless you are using extremely low quality settings. Can you advise me how your video card matters unless you are using the DGAVCDecNV (NVidia enabled version) to decode and frameserve with your graphics card, which requires a donation to be used.

13. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Hey, thanks Ryu77. I'm not an expert, but I know a lot of people don't want to be experts, so I pass along my method and usually forward them to the sticky if they want more detail. You are right, it is constant 1-pass that I use. I've done 2-pass and the time is just too long. Takes between 7 and 8 hours, and I can't use my PC at all, unless I set the encode to low priority. All 8 CPU threads are operating at 98%. If I tried to remember to encode before bed, it would never get done, because then I forget. And I can't really tell the difference between the 1-pass and 2-pass. Plus, I own the Blu Ray anyway, so the highest quality encode isn't super important. My main reason for encoding is to build up a digital library for use with XBMC. I've got my PC hooked up to my TV and DTS receiver. I think my encodes look pretty good ;)

As for the the AC3 stream, for that specific movie referenced above, the only audio was AC3. When there is a TrueHD stream with an AC3 core, I typically just downconvert the TrueDTS stream to DTS. I don't bother with AC3 unless there is no other choice.

14. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

You don't choose an avisynth script. You need to go to Tools->AVS Script Creator. In the next window that opens, choose your m2ts movie. Once it's selected, give it a few seconds and a screenshot will pop up. Minimize it (don't close it). Finish up with cropping or resizing as desired (your movie is probably 1920 by something under 1080, or maybe you want to scale it down to 720p - factor of 1.5). The screenshot will pop up again showing the upper black bars cropped (or the new size). Minimize it again and hit the "save" button. You will see that the AviSynth Script has been created, along with your video output folder (you can change the output folder and file name). Choose your profile in the "Encoder Settings" drop-down. Next choose your file format (MP4, MKV, etc..). Hit the "Enqueue" button and switch to the "Queue" tab up top. You'll see your job at the top. Select it and hit "start" and you'll be good to go.

15. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Ok, now it's not letting me open my m2ts file. I keep getting the following error: "AviSynth Error: DirectShowSource: RenderFile, the filter graph manager won't talk to me". It does allow me to open up mkv files though.

16. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Well, I gave up on MeGui for now and have had success with RipBot. But if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong in MeGui I would appreciate it.

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It sounds like you haven't got any M2TS splitter installed or a H264 decoder. I would guess the splitter though.

Have you installed Haali and FFDShow?

18. rage4ordr

rage4ordr Regular member

Yup, got em both. I even updated Directshow, which got rid of the error I was getting earlier. I'll try reinstalling them and see if that works.

19. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Just make sure you completely uninstall everything before re-installing. Probably a good idea to unistall your entire codec pack and installing the most updated one - either k-lite or CCC.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010