1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BeAll vs. Ritek

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by markw, Aug 23, 2004.

1. markw

markw Member

I have been using ACCU DVD-R's for quite some time and had great success, only about 1 coaster out of 50. These were the 1X and played fine in all DVD players but when I went to the ACCU 4X there were more coasters but most of all they didn't play well in any dvd player I tried.
    Well I ended up placing a new order, trying both the BeAll 4X and the Ritek RiData 4x. I ordered these through Meritonline. I had heard great things about both in the past.
    I am using a Sony DRU-510A drive and the Beall's work great. Out of 50 I used I maybe got 1 coaster. As well, they play great in my Samsung DVD player.
    As for the Ritek, I have much lower success. First, they only burn at 2X. Out of 50 I get maybe around 10-20 coasters. Sometimes I may burn around 4 without a problem but then other times I have a coaster and then try 4 more and each one is a coaster as well. It seems to rung in a row like that. Maybe that's how they are pressed so when you have one bad the next one may be bad as well. I tried selecting 2X when burning since on 4X it burns at 2X and I still had the same problem.
    My questions, I read so much good about the Ritek on here that this doens't seem possible. Did I possibly get a bad batch? I am on the 2nd spindle though with still the same problems. The BeAlls are doing so well and with Meritline I have up to 30 days to return these. I don't know if I should just try another order of the Ritek's from them or if I should return them and just go with the BeAll's.
    My only concern I have is a year ago or so I heard how the DVD's that have a strong purple back tend to be the most playable in DVD players. The Ritek's have that strong purple back where it seems the Beall's are barely purple, more blue like. I have only used these in my Samsung DVD player and am concerned if they play well in others. Does anyone know how well they play in most DVD Players. Thanks for help with all these questions.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

My experience has been just the opposite. My DVD writer is a Ricoh MP5040a which uses the DVD+R/RW discs. While my computer will read the burned BeAll discs, only my Lite-On set top recorder will read the discs, with the other five DVD players having a tough time of it. Meanwhile, the Riteks are batting 100% all the way. I use the R03 discs and no coasters that weren't caused by my stupidity. Also, my Lite-On really likes them ... they seem to record more quietly than the BeAlls do. The only other discs that I've had this much success with has been the Ricoh produced TDKs and some Maxells that were given to me.