1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beaware of tiscali broadband

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by gruel, Dec 15, 2003.

1. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

LMAO at Doofy's comment about the eurofeeds great idea:)I laffed alot at the thought of doing that to tiscali over a long weekend ....
    coppo right on I ain't heard 2 good words for them so far]no aint mentioning the company they ain't worth it[ over the net or talking to ppl in the street so I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for there future let alone their customer services....
    qxe900 I run with blueyonder 1024 here and I ain't had a problem in over 2 years now they don't bother Me I dont bother them .....I recieve the bill n pay it that simple really 40 quid for 1024 256 upload....

and I have 3pc's networked up I alone must SHARE either up or download atleast 35 gig a month.....god knows what My Bro downloads
    DaOsT

2. coppo

coppo Member

lol @ da0st don't fix what's not broke but i think ticali will sooner than they think.

3. stewartl

stewartl Member

Today is the first day since I have had Tiscali Broadband, I've got the £15.99 per month - 265kbps (5x as fast as standard dialup) - and the speed is currently on 589.8kbps, so how's that hmm? Anyway, I am finding it really great compared to my AOL 8.0 56k dialup I had a couple of weeks ago. Maybe after the first month they give you an excess amount of speed then a few month later they only give you a lot less speed, I dunno.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Lee Stewart
    ----------------
    god@recile.net
    http://www.recile.net[/small]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

hhhmmm dunno but I wouldn't go a complaining~heh
    DaOsT

5. qxe900

qxe900 Guest

stewartl......256 - you should be getting the 150kb service for £15.99, 19.99 for the 256 according to their site......and am i right in thinking tisacali have spyware built in - did i read that earlier - freeserve bradband currently do free modem and line connection, at 512 for £15.99 for the 3 months then £28 a month - thats not a bad deal....?

6. stewartl

stewartl Member

sorry about that, my mistake. I am on the £19.99 per month (256kbps) but I am currently recieving 589.8kbps which I don't understand. I think that maybe they have given me toomuch too soon, then maybe a few month down the line they'll reduce the speed that I have used up. I dunno.

7. qxe900

qxe900 Guest

ive got a mac as well as a PC - ive read that macs 'arent supported' and thers obviosuly a difference between supported and actually working - does anyone know if you can get away with using macs - i was planning on getting an ADSL router - would this work? my knowledge of the various ADSL connections is a bit sketchy but i was under the impression that theyere all the same really...regardless of what OS you a using, mac or PC - i can understand that a free USB modem might not work on the mac but as far as the connection itself..i mean the phone line doesn care if a mac or PC is dailing out does it?!?

8. Comberman

Comberman Guest

One of the criteria for download speed is bandwidth and the speed of download is determined not by what your modem (both Dialup and Broadband (ADSL))can receive but by the speed/bandwidth of the sender. For example, I am with BT!Yahoo and use the Speedtouch ADSL modem which when I connect says 576kbs per second. On a good speed/bandwidth site I can expect to download 3.5Mb to 4Mb per minute, whereas on a poor site the download speed can be real frustrating. I've just finished watching a video (not bad quality, at least it was watchable) which came in at 128kbps per second. This afternoon I was on the Microsoft Office update site and my download came in at a miserly 2kbs (yes - 2kbps!!) I shudder what to think the download speed would have been on normal dial-up. In the end of the day your download speed depends on the speed the sender's servers can transmit. Of course, there are good and bad Broadband providers, but that's a different story altogether.
    Cheers

9. accy786

accy786 Member

Well well this doesnt come to as a surprise to hear so much negative things about tiscali broadband. I to am getting really low speeds and there help advisers are usless.
    but my question is this not only am i getting really low speeds but i keep getting disconnected when downloading after say about 2 hrs ( and i thought getting broadband meant always connected)so plzzzz can some one tell me how to change the settings so i dont get dissconected
    many thankz

10. Comberman

Comberman Guest

As far as I know broadband (regardless of who provides it) means a 24/7 connection, although from the complaints about Tiscali, I think they might be a law onto themselves. If you are using IE, go into Settings>Internet Options>. Click on the Connections Tab and select Settings. In the dial up window (which contains user name/pasword), click on "Advanced". In the window that appears uncheck all the disconnection fields.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

11. accy786

accy786 Member

Thankz comberman.....it has helped
    Now im of to cancel my direct debit with tiscali...im gona let them do all the running...If they want there money then they are gona have to give me the speed ( 512 )i signed up for.

12. Comberman

Comberman Guest

Glad to have been able to help. I wish you luck with Tiscali.
    All the best

13. steelee

steelee Guest

Well stuartl i h8 to disappoint you but i had tiscali 256k put in around 3 months ago. I dont know about you but i am i very addicted online gamer(i probably play around 6 hours a day!!!!). I have recently noticed that my net has started running very slowly recently. I am not paying for the connection (my dad is) however, i am the one who noticed it was running slowly. I only noticed due to a 200!! YES 200 ping when i should be getting around 70 on rainbow six 3:Raven Shield. This only started happeneing between 7 and 8pm once a week. Now it does it between 5 and 11pm every day, and runs like a sack all day at weekends. Could they possibly be capping me at peak times???

I have also noticed that i am getting a 15kbs(sometimes below 10 though) download speed at peak times. However this is progressivly getting worse and my net is getting slower.

I occasionally use this website: http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericUR...genericLeftNav=/en-us/wrapper/catalog_nav.asp

to check to speed of my net. I am very surprised at how often it returns at 70kbps. This is not alot faster than the freeserve 56k i was on beforehand (wich connected at 48kbps)

I have just ran the above website and it returned at 166.64kbps( at 9:30pm on 19 april). If this is 5 times faster than dial up i am jonny vegas(and he died 2day).

Just 2day my dad tried to call tiscali but guess what????? THEY WERE OUT TO LUNCH.

I would stress to anyone now i have tisali to think twice and look around before choosing them. in my opinion you are s nutty as a fruit cake to use them after reading this forum.

Thx for reading, any replies would be very happily received however, i have mostly babbled on :-s

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Chance Favours The Prepared Mind!!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2004
  14. qxe900

qxe900 Guest

ive been using the 3 x speed tiscali broadband for a few months now...its pretty much ok - although once or twice its been impossibly slow...like 4 k or something - i assume at times like that its just everyones kicking the arse out of it and the contention ratio can barely hold everyone? or just general traffic - im not a heavy downloader, what with audiogalaxy gone for a year or so nothing else comes close....but on the whole theyve been better than ihad feared - the fact that theres no longer a 2hr timeout or, worse, when i was using fast4 they suspended me as i was setting it to redail when detecting a line drop - that was supossed to be an 'unlimited' account, and because i was online and not active this was in breach of theire T&C.....an tht was only about £6 cheaper than Tiscali.....so you pay ya money and takes ya choice....i have very low expectations of tiscali after i read this thread and maybe thats why im so surprised...?

15. steelee

steelee Guest

well when tiscali first went in it was like a dream come true (infact it was) but now at peak times it running like an old man carrying a ton of bricks.

P.S. my speed has just clock in at 146.16kbps.

16. mook7

mook7 Guest

You need to chill and realise that we r all in the same position, recieved internet connection speed (Bps) is a product not only of your theoretical access speed via your PPP router via the access network but also of the current state of the links between you and the server in question. The provider can only guarentee your bandwidth accorss their access network and not accross any hops outside there domain. The internet is extremely congested and this is why u are getting such a poor data rate.

17. amirza

amirza Member

I've been using telewest's blueyonder 512K broadband for about 6 months now with no problems even when downloading multiple files with getright.
    I regularly check the bandwidth using sites like ZDnet's bandwidth test and it always comes in around the 500K mark
    http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/

also now blueyonder have upgraded all their 512K users to around 768K for free..yippee!

18. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

i also use blueyonder broadband and have no probs with them at all .but i was with tiscali dial up before i got broadband and had lots of probs with them they wanted to take my money every month but didnt actually seem to want me to be on line alot.my advice to anyone is stay away from tiscali.

19. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

and just to add my 1 meg line is now 1.5 megs for the same price .this is a lesson in customer service tiscali need to learn thats why telewest is winning all the isp awards telewest/blueyonder broadband.

20. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

im on tiscali dl speed 62kbps overall connetion speed is over 512kbps did have problems to start they had me at 56kbps so sent them email a real nasty one took them a week to get back to me and the problem was they had my area diling code wrong

paying £24.99 pm my connetion shows up as 2.3 megabit
    using sagem modem and been told 62kbps is what i shopuld be getting when i down load is this right.
    plus i think it to do with advertising they have done that much latley and had that many people sign up i dont think there server can handle it they need to there figer out

this is the reply you get when emailing them The smallest unit of data on your computer is called a bit (short for binary digit) and these are grouped in manageable multiples of 8, known as bytes.

With a broadband connection running at 512 kilobits per second (kb), the number of bytes you would receive when downloading would be calculated as follows:
    512000 bits / 8 = 64000 bytes i.e.64 kiloBytes (kB)

Bear in mind this is a theoretical maximum speed and in reality will be affected by factors such as :
    - Computer system configuration
    - transfer loss due to overheads (which can reach up to 13%)
    - the site you are downloading from
    - whether you are running any other Internet monitoring software (such as a firewall)
    - bandwidth contention at peak times

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1224mb ddr 2700
    120gig sata hdd
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound[/small]

Last edited: May 17, 2004