1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beaware of tiscali broadband

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by gruel, Dec 15, 2003.

1. kreator

kreator Member

Over the last few days I have noticed a severe degradation of download speed. I believe I have been capped. I can't access ANY website as the download is about 100 bytes per second or worse. My wife runs a support group for people having faced serious trauma and many are suicidal, so now these people are left in limbo because we cannot access email, so we called the customer services to seek rectification and get through to an indian call centre and spoke to many individuals with made up names (Peter Parker, Patricia Roberts I don't think so) None of them had a clue what they were doing, two cut us off. Hmmm some customer service.

[bold]I would advise anyone not to ever sign up with Tiscali.[/bold] It may seem great until it goes wrong then it will end in tears.

Can anyone post links of where else I can post this message.

Oh well off to cancel my account.

2. Rolly

Rolly Guest

Hi All

It appears reading through that the possible lack of ISP vigilance in delivering a promised speed may be linked to the fact that you all seem to be signed up as residential users.
    I’m also a residential user although I also run a business from home as a LTD company I was required to find an ISP with whom this fact wouldn’t be a problem.
    Now that I’m classified as a residential / business customer it appears that the business part offers me a level of service that as a sole residential customer I would not receive. And all this for the same sort of price.
    I have been with this company for 13 months and have been delighted with the service.

ISP = Demon Internet
    Service = Demon Express Solo
    ADSL = 512K
    Cost = £24.99 Month

I have just speed checked my connection @ http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Results.

Downstream 467 Kbps (58.4 KB/sec) 504 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec) 259 Kbps (inc. overheads)

3. Firefly2

Firefly2 Member

Check this out - had it come a few days ago!

Your Tiscali customer code: *******

Dear ***** *******,

We have become aware that your usage of the broadband internet access service that we supply to you is extraordinarily high. We are concerned that your usage is systematic of a breach of Clause 5.7 of our Terms and Conditions. You can access these at www.tiscali.co.uk/products/

Clause 5.7, and specifically Sub-Clauses 5.7.2 and 5.7.3, prohibits the use of the Broadband Services:

(1) to deliver, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any information or material in breach of any copyright, privacy or any other rights; or

(2) to send or procure the sending of any unsolicited advertising or promotional material (SPAM).

If you believe this is not the case, it may be that you have a virus and your computer is being used as an "open relay" to send SPAM without your knowledge. If this is the case we will assist you as far as possible with resolving this issue.

You will understand that we have an overriding duty to preserve our network integrity and the service we provide other users (please see Clause 5.9 Terms and Conditions) and your usage is currently affecting our other users.

Please contact us so we offer advice and can discuss any issues you may have.

Email: broadbandservices@uk.tiscali.com

or write to us at

Broadband Product Services
    Tiscali UK
    20 Broadwick Street
    London
    W1F 8HT
    If we do not hear from your within 7 days your broadband account will be suspended. In the event that we do not hear from you in the next 30 days, regrettably we will be left with no alternative but to terminate your account without further notice.

Yours faithfully

Tiscali UK Limited

Tiscali UK Limited

4. Firefly2

Firefly2 Member

Responded with this letter : I am writing in reference to the email that you sent me about the high usage of my account.
    I have consulted with my solicitor and gone over the terms and conditions of my account that i originally agreed on when i took your service out and there are no limitations to how much i use the full bandwidth.
    To clarify the situation re clause 5.7.2/ 5.7.3 i am not downloading any illegal or copyrighted material or doing anything which violates the original terms and conditions. I am running a small gaming hub at home which allows all my friends and clan members to connect to play in a private game arena using several different game protocols some of which i have written myself. No money is charged for this and it is private with no advertising anywhere. It does however require that my machine runs 24/7 with high upload and download bandwidth which i believe i pay for.
    The computer is not being used for spam or for anything that violates your terms and conditions and there is nothing in the terms and conditions which caps the amount of data transferable, maybe your new terms and conditions cap the amount of data transferable but i have not signed up to these and by law i am not bound by any alterations to your terms and conditions without prior notification which i have not been sent.

Regards

seems to have shut em up for a while, i am terminating my account anyway as i am going back to blueyonder 3mbps so screw em.

5. kreator

kreator Member

Fine, let your account expire, your better off elsewhere.

Tiscali want users that use the service for an hour a day after work. and only browsing at that.

IMHO :)

6. otester

otester Guest

I had simular problem but with an ISP called Giointernet. in the end i blocked them from getting any money out of me. told them to cancell my contract because they didnt keep to it. then i told them to FU*K off!!!!!!!!!

7. b.torrent

b.torrent Member

A good phone number for Tiscali high level complaints dept. is 01908 223913 when I complained to oftel about them they rang me and it was sorted out within a week....Good luck

8. qxe900

qxe900 Guest

I must be lucky - i have my pc all the time - and whilst its not downloading lots, i have kazza open with the odd video ready to d/l, and theres plenty of my stuff getting u/l and ive not had any probs from tiscali yet.....i also used GIO internt on a standrd unlimted dial up...they cancelled my account after i was d/l or keeping it online all the time.....

9. mrmr

mrmr Member

10. Bombadill

Bombadill Member

Lads, I'v had pretty much the same problem with tiscali.
    Got a letter through saying that I had breached clause (5.9) of the contract, and that they reserved the right to alter my access rate if I am using too much bandwidth, or downloading too much info.

Complete pants in my opinion, when I'm paying 24 quid a month for a service I should damn well be able to use it however I want.

Since its in the contract I agreed to, I spose we can't do jack :/

11. _Bill_

_Bill_ Member

I also received one of these "Clause 5.9" letters. I can now only get downloads of 10 to 15KB/s! slower than when I used the 256Kb/s version! I'm taking this opertunity to cancel and basically tell every1 I can about how Tiscali has decided that by using the service you're paying for, you can be in violation of their T&Cs. If their network is suffering because I'm using what I've PAID FOR, then it's up to them to fix it, not me. they've lost their £299.88 per year from me.

12. zookeeper

zookeeper Member

TISCALI, MY RECENT EXPERIENCE OF THIS SHOWER WHO ARE ALEDGEDLY AN INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER.

THERE ARE SOME EXCELLENT DEALS ON BROAD BAND SERVICE IN THE MARKET PLACE AT THE MOMENT AND I DECIDED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT FACT. I PHONED TISCALI CUSTOMER HELP LINE ON 23/9/04 TO ARRANGE CANELLATION OF MY 256K BROADBAND CONTRACT SO AS TO MOVE TO ANOTHER PROVIDER AND GET BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY. THE CUSTOMER ADVISOR USED ALL HIS TRAINING TO TRY AND TALK ME OUT OF CANCELLING BUT I WAS DETERMINED. HE THEN OFFERED TO UPGRADE ME TO A 512K PACKAGE AT NO EXTRA MONTHLY COST. A GOOD DEAL I THOUGHT SO I EXCEPTED AND WAS UPGRADED WITHIN 3 HOURS. I THOUGHT I HAD RECEIVED VERY GOOD SERVICE UNTIL YESTERDAY MORNING (30/9/04) WHEN I RECEIVED THE ATTATCHED LETTER FROM TISCALI THAT SEEMS TO ACCUSE ME OF USING MY CONNECTION TO ITS POTENTIAL WHICH IS APPARENTLY BREACH OF CONTRACT, VERY STRANGE. I CAN CANCEL NOW WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT IF I WISH BUT IF I STAY MY CONNECTION SPEEDS WILL BE LIMITED AT SOURCE. I HAVE SPEED CHECHED MY CONNECTION NOW AND I AM GETTING DIAL UP 56K SPEEDS FOR 19.99 PER MONTH. IF THIS WAS AN EMPLOYER I WOULD CLAIM CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL AGAINST THEM. I HAVE VISITED MANY ISP RELATED SITES AND IT WOULD APPEAR TISCALI COME OFF VERY BADLY FOR SERVICE AND PROFFESIONALISM IN ALL OF ,THEM EVEN THEIR OWN BROADBAND FORUM. IT APPEARS THESE LETTERS WENT OUT TO QUITE A NUMBER OF PEOPLE, AS ITS A HOT TOPIC ON THE MENTIONED FORUM.I AM AWAITING A REPLY REGARDING MY CANCELLATION NOW AND HAVE A MONTH WITHOUT A BROADBAND SERVICE TO LOOK FORWARD TO AS TISCALI DO NOT SUPPORT MIGRATION AND THEREFORE IT HAS TO BE A CEASE AND RESUPPLY SITUATION. I KNOW ITS UNLIKELY ANYTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS MATTER BUT IF IT CAN ILLUMINATE TISCALI`S SHORTCOMINGS TO ANYONE THAT MAY BE CONSIDERING SIGNING WITH THEM THEN I`LL BE HAPPY.. cheers dave..

13. Bombadill

Bombadill Member

There must be something we can do about this. I think its dodgy that they are giving the people who get this clause 5.9 letter a clear way out of the contract at no further cost. Obviously they want to get rid of any customer who wants to use what they pay for, (And who might make them have to upgrade their line, god forbid)but it seems kinda like a pay off to me. I'm not happy being tossed aside like this when they see fit, leaving an easy way out and constricting our service seems like forcing us out for using a service we pay a lot of money for...

14. qxe900

qxe900 Guest

Ive still been using the 168 (or whatever 3x equates to) and its pretty good - can be a little slow at times, but no probs with kazza, i have seen that TESCO are doing 512 for £20 pe month, sounds too good to be true when most pleaces its £30, or advertised as somethign like £20 Fast4 for example, but then thers a massive £60 or so setup cost, so over a year its about the same...im hoping to end my tiscali account in Jan when the years up and go with TESCO - anyone using it yet and can let me know if they cap (says unlimited but so does Tiscali...) or is it a case of the better the devil u know???

15. b.torrent

b.torrent Member

Ive spent the last 12 months with bt who are starting to cap early next year! checkout central point broadband 18.99 a month for 512 no limit(for how long who knows?) 99 pence migration fee 1st month free and only a 3 month contract! and on top of that call centre in suffolk not india!

16. my_name

my_name Guest

If you can get it go with blueyonder.....I have had absolutely no problems with telewest and their customer support system has been flawless for the last 3 years (apart from when I moved house and needed to migrate account...but I won't go into that)
    fast downloads 24/7 and doesn't seem to have any of the time of day bottle necks that ADSL has(due to contention ratios etc) I also at times am a heavy uploader downloader and have downloaded over 100GB...yes gigabytes amonth for about 20 out of the 36 months....not a peep from them...

well worth it

17. gruel

gruel Member

at last im not with tiscali anymore, im with bulldog and have been for 2 months now, ive downloaded a shed load of stuff and had no problems with speed droping its £30 for 1mb conection a month with no download limits, a little expensive maybe but compared to £28 a month for a suposedly 512kb with Tiscali then its not bad.
    As for Tiscali they can go Fxxx them selves, i tell anyone who's thinking about geting broadband to steer clear of these bandits.
    p.s sorry about the swearing when i first posted i was preaty mad at the time :)