1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been having a problem with skipping on my DVD-R's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kory1, Jan 27, 2005.

1. kory1

kory1 Member

i've burnt around 70 dvd's and around 10 of them start skipping about 3/4 of the way through the movie. a couple of them skip all the way through, but most start skipping deep into the movie. it'll skip really bad and then, usually, just quit working altogether. i'm using sony media (i don't think that's too cheap), and i'm using 1click dvd copy w/ copytodvd to make my copies. is it, perhaps, the program i'm using? i'm not exactly sure how that would be possible, but i'm definitely open to any suggestions. thanks in advance for any help.

2. kory1

kory1 Member

the dvd that i was referring to above is playing just fine in my computer right now. the movie has like 20 chapters and began to skip in my ps2 at around chapter 18 and wouldn't even begin to play chapt. 19 whenever i prompted, but when i selecting chapt. 19 from the menu with my computer, it opened just fine. what does it all mean? why would my ps2 play it just fine until deep into the movie and it plays most of my movies without any problem. it's a new ps2 slim also. thanks for any help.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kory1,those symptoms sound like media issues.

How fast do you burn?
    What manufacturer code and format of sony are you burning? Sony,like most name brands,has quite a few different manufacturers.The quality can vary between each of their manufacturers.I have some sony-4x that someone gave me,"made in austria",and when i get the nerve to use my last 2-they will be burned at their lowest speed.

The problems on low-quality media can give you the skipping,jumping,freezing,pixellating,and many other problems.

Also burning too fast,multi-tasking,background programs kicking on,and paper labels can cause this.

Since most of these problems occur towards the end of the disc,uneven dye may be the problem. I use dvd shrink and have my target size set at 4300mbs.This keeps me from burning the edge-area suspectable to uneven dye.I have only used 1clickdvd a couple times during a free trial so I don't know how to set the target size in it.

Your pc: "driver that burned it" should play it's own backups,and it should be excellent in quality.Yours does this. Next comes "where are those backups going to be played"? I am like most people and view them on my tv sets.
    Certain stand alone players have a harder time reading those burns.Slowing down the burn speed,and/or switch to a high quality media usually fixes those symptoms you described.

High quality media and a 4x burn will help prevent a lot of problems on: burn errors,stand alone playability,and re-ripping those backups for another copy like I occasionaly do.

Here's a free program to find out what manufacturer made those discs: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Here is a site to give you some info on that code: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

digital faq hasn't been updated for a while but you can use it as a close reference guide.

4. kory1

kory1 Member

i'm going to try using dvd shrink for a little while and see if that remedies my problems at all. i just used it to burn a dvd and it appears to be working just fine. i just put it in my dvd player and went to the second to last chapter and it appears to be playing just fine. that's not really saying much just yet though because a large percent of the ones i've burnt with 1clickdvdcopy have worked just fine as well. well actually, i just checked one of the special features and it was skipping as well so, it doesn't appear to have fixed the problem. so you said first of all to lower the amount of what i'm burning to avoid burning around the edges. i'll try that as well. i downloaded that tool you suggested and it says RICOH Co. Lmt. Japan. DVD+R with 1x, 2.4x, & 4x recording speeds. also i don't use paper labels so that's not an issue. is there any chance that it's my ps2. when i say that the copies work just fine in my computer, i mean my internal drive, not my external burner so i'm using a different drive than i'm burning on. i'm burning at whatever speed is standard because i've never switched the settings. thanks for your help so far.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kory, ricohjpn are not bad media,you just might have to slow it down. The pc is playing the external burns,so this usually rules out software.

Go into dvd shrink,edit,preferences, and click on target size-scroll till you get to custom,set it at 4300 mbs,ok. This is how mine is set and i burn a lot of ricohjpn maxell's.

Dvd shrink has a burn setting on the backup options tab.I have it pull out nero to do the burning. shrink does not burn,only compresses.It also works with dvd decrypter to do the burning.

I have a buddy with a ps2 and his will only play dash format.He can't even use the sony - media,figure that one out,so he uses maxell and tdk - media and burns it very slow,1x.

Media and slow burn speed usually fix these problems.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If the disks play fine in your PS2 until near the end then I would suspect you need to lower your target size (compress a little more) so you are not burning to the edge of the disk.
    [​IMG]

7. kory1

kory1 Member

i've done all that you guys suggested on a new dvd that i just burned. it seems to work just fine so far. i guess i'll stick with this until it starts to give me problems again (hopefully it won't though). thank you guys for all the help. i'll post later after i've burnt another 3-4 disc and let you know if they've all burnt fine. but so far, everything looks good.

8. kory1

kory1 Member

another question i might have is.... using thess ideas that you've suggested to me, do you EVER have a problem with your burnt dvds skipping? or do they still skip from time to time?

9. fyrmdk

fyrmdk Member

I was having the same problems, switched to Verbatim +R, slowed the burning down, and started using Shrink (free), and havent had a problem since (done at least 20 DVDs). Also, don't use the computer when burning.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kory, I don't have any skipping issues but I have a cousing that has trouble playing my +rw backups on memorex.I usually avoid sending him those rw's,he has no trouble with the tdk rw's. I slap a movie on rw and when I get it back,erase it and send him some more.The rw disks seem to have a lot more trouble on stand alone players than the regular +/- r.

I have a khypermedia +8x burner in my backup pc and no matter what media I slap in it or burn speed was performed,It just gave me a "no disc inserted" error and just keep spinning away.There was something different about that burn that the apex player in my bedroom would not play. I could re-burn those backup discs on my home dvd burner and that apex would play just fine.It even gave me the same error when I put it on my spare pc. Pretty strange,just a little variation on that laser.

So I came upon a benq 1620 $40 sale at staples last thanksgiving -day after sale and all my players: apex,sony,khypermedia,and cyberhome home recorder play perfect. I haven't watched any of my original backups in the last 5 months.

I got my cyberhome dvd recorder a year ago and those same issues occured when I passed those backups onto my friends.I couln't change the burn speed in it but the better media did the job. I started using memorex on that burner,go figure.I had 1 memorex +4x disc from that first batch that got mixed in with my pc 4x +sony,burn error right off the bat.Since then,only 1 other coaster in the last 150 burns. The dual format benq should give me more flexibility for adjusting on other stand alone players.The - maxell yellowtops are looking sweet in my stand alones. I do a lot of re-ripping for extra copies and those copies play perfect,nobody can tell a difference.4x backup speed and a 4x re-rip backup speed-no issues.

Hey fyrmdk, which coded verbatim's did you get?
    The + 8x coded mcc003 are very sweet. The +4x media life coded ricohjpn01 and mccoo2 along with the +4x digital movie quality coded mccoo2 aren't too bad. I would take those mcc003 discs over those other manufacturers any day.Re-ripping those backups are a breeze.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sometimes even when you shut down everything in your task manager there still will be other programs running in the background. There is FREEWARE out there called filemon.exe that can show you exactly what your PC is doing and exactly when.

The link to this software is:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

I had an issue with an extreme slowdown on my system randomly, sometimes for up to 30 seconds at a clip, and found that it was Drive Image 7.0 running it's V2i Protector in the background. This did not show up in Tasks. Now I keep a shortcut handy to "Services" in XP to Stop or Start the program manually.