1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

been such a long time since we used psp....

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by stuck13, Nov 9, 2015.

1. stuck13

stuck13 Member

My autistic son was given a game for his old psp and we have totally lost touch and forgotten everything we knew about how to use it. He has a psp1003 which is able to have homebrew.
    When we put the given umd game (TRON EVOLUTION) into the player we got the message.
    The system software of your psp system is version 3.52. To start, you must update to version 6.31 or later.
    Could somebody point us in the right direction, we are guessing there is probably a guide somewhere but we really don't know where to start!!
    Thank you for your time.

Timnormas likes this.
  2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

You have to do two steps, first you have to update to 5.00 M33, because your firmware is so old that you can't update to a newer custom firmware directly anymore.
    Download the UPDATE.RAR file from here: http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...omebrew/624-psp-5-00-m33-custom-firmware.html
    and copy the UPDATE folder it contains into the folder PSP -> GAME on your PSP's memory stick. Then you do the update to 5.00 M33.
    Here's a little video how to:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xxgyfQHcc

When you have done that you delete everything in the UPDATE folder on your PSP's memory stick (not the folder itself) and download 6.60 ME 1.7 here: http://www.qj.net/psp/firmware/psp-cfw-660-me-lme-v17-released.html
    Make sure you get ME, not LME, LME is for later PSP 2000 and all PSP 3000 models. Then download the official 6.60 Update here:
    http://www.download3k.com/Games/Patches-Updates/Download-PlayStation-Portable-PSP-Firmware.html
    Rename the file from EBOOT.PBP to 660.PBP (or in case you don't see file extensions, which is selected as default in Windows, rename it from EBOOT to 660). After the renaming place the file into the UPDATE folder on your PSP's memory stick and copy the file that is inside the UPDATE folder from the 6.60 ME download also to the UPDATE folder on your PSP's memory stick (don't rename this one). After that the update procedure is the same as before from your firmware to 5.00. When you're done all games should work.

Timnormas and tongs007 like this.
  3. stuck13

stuck13 Member

Thank you Eisherz, once i got my head into the right mode i was able to update using your instructions. many thanks for your help and time. Now my son is able to play all his games :)

Timnormas likes this.
  4. Timnormas

Timnormas Newbie

will this work for 3.51?

5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Yes.

Timnormas likes this.
  6. Timnormas

Timnormas Newbie

i tried that and now every time I turn my psp on it gives me a black screen and then turns off

7. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Ok, that means somewhere you went wrong. I don't know where, because that tutorial up there I wrote for somebody without technical knowledge and it actually works.
    Can you access recovery mode? Take out your battery and disconnect your charger to make sure your PSP is completely shut down, then put the battery back in, hold and keep holding the R button down while you switch your PSP on.

Timnormas likes this.
  8. Timnormas

Timnormas Newbie

My psp is back on, but it's not updated

9. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

So it's working again?

Timnormas likes this.
  10. Timnormas

Timnormas Newbie

yes, but do you know how I update it?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015