1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before I buy AnyDVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by AmmaMan85, Feb 19, 2007.

1. AmmaMan85

AmmaMan85 Member

I have a couple questions

Everytime there is a new update (there are a lot) do i just re-enter the activation code to and have full access?

I am going to get a new computer will i need to re-buy it?

And is it worth buying?

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

IMO YES ,its worth every cent being it updates to do the newer movies. i never had i movie i can't backup using the anydvd + clonedvd 2

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Considering the fact that AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 cost about $80 and you can get RipIt4Me and DVD Shrink for free, I'd do some evaluations before purchasing. About the only advantage to the Slysoft software is that it's a little bit faster. I own all the software mentioned and have been using the RipIt4Me more than the AnyDVD lately.

4. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

A few points on this whole thing:
    1- anydvd/clonedvd2 handle new encryptions better than any other combo outthere.
    2- anydvd/cloner2 are, not just a litle, but much faster than any combo outthere.
    3- anydvd is updated more than any other program outthere, clonedvd2 doesn't need to be updated because it doesn't need to, if you use it with anydvd.
    But, and a big BUT it is; if the compression is too high, i much rather use Shrink than clonedvd2. shrink does a better job at high levels of compression, specially if you use AEC and Deep analysis, but this will cost you in time, it takes more than twice the time clonedvd2 takes backup a movie.
    Ripit4me/shrink is my prefer way of backup my movies because although it is an extra step and much slower, ripit4me it will give you the "cleanest" files possible. make sure you check "run the files thru fixvts".

5. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

This question is for you people that use both clonedvd and dvd shrink. At what compression is there no difference in the to when it comes to quality. At what compression ratio do you recommend using dvd shrink?

6. AmmaMan85

AmmaMan85 Member

PacMan,

I've never been successfull at using Ripit4Me. Is there a good guide on how to use it?

Thanks

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I suspect the guides the others are promoting are good. The official guide at http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html isn't too long and goes into detail. For a quick start I wrote a little tutorial I posted here in the Shrink forum. It covers installing the program, use and using Shrink for transcoding with DVD Decrypter as the supported burner. Once you open in Shrink, you use the software according to Shrink guidelines, RI4M is done at that point. Click here for my little tutorial and look about mid page for a lot of pictures. ;)

10. AmmaMan85

AmmaMan85 Member

thanks for the help

11. snoland

snoland Regular member

I have AnyDVD and think it is a great program. With that said, I would not buy it. Ripit4me is just as good and is FREE. Ripit4me is updated on a regular basis and does a great job.
    If you are going to pay for a program, I suggest DVD Rebuilder Pro. You will get more bang for your money if you use Ripit4me or DVDFab to rip with and DVD Rebuilder to encode.

Here are the links:
    Ripit4me: http://www.ripit4me.org/
    DVDFab Decrypter: http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm
    DVD Rebuilder: http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/index.php

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ammaMan85

I didn't mean to sour you on AnyDVD. If funds are no problem by all means buy AnyDVD and even clonedvd2. I have them both. I use anydvd almost always, but seldom use clonedvd2. AnyDVD hiccups every once in a while. When it does ripit4me picks up the slack. For ease of use anydvd is #1.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Garmoon
    Some of us like working with files from the hard drive better than on the fly programs. My favorite program, Rebuilder, works best with hard drive files. For that type work, RipIt4Me is better than AnyDVD. With the 1-Click mode it couldn't be much easier. Most RipIt4Me problems happen with a bad setup or improper use. Best of all, RipIt4Me files work with just about everything. AnyDVD still has problem working with some software, i.e. DVD Shrink, and seems to need CloneDVD2 for some copy protections.

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I guess I'll have to start using ripit4me more to see if I want to change proceedures. The product I'm getting now is fine, I don't have HD yet, but have seen my discs on HD sets and they look great.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Find a big blockbuster like King Kong or Lord Of The Rings that require a lot of compression. Do a full disc backup using Shrink or whatever your preference is. Then do one with Rebuilder and compare them on a large screen HD TV. A lot of people say they can see a noticable difference. Take note of the action scenes and the background quality.

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I got that covered. For the blockbuster movies I just do the whole disc with ImgBurn on my DL Verbatim discs. I will ultimately move to DL for the movies I really enjoy. The prices are starting to come down. We may all be keeping Verbatims artificially high, by singing their praises too much here at AD. LMAO

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I used just a few of the Verbatim DL to learn the process and then went back to encoding to DVD5 with RB/CCE. Verbatim isn't making any money off me by keeping the prices up. When I get the opportunity I point out the quailty of encoding to DVD5. The drastic difference in media cost still keeps me from doing more with DL.

18. blb061803

blb061803 Guest

In my opinion all anyone needs is DvdFabDecrypter (FREE) and Clonedvd2 ($39.00)

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Seems everybody has their favorite and a number of programs get the job done. For most titles a large combination of software can be used. A preference for ease or more bells and whistles lead us to retail programs. Ripit4Me and DVDFab Decrypter are 2 good freeware decryption programs. DVD Shrink and the freeware version of Rebuilder are 2 of the top freeware choices on AD. ImgBurn has taken over for DVD Decrypter as the top free burner software. A person doesn't really need to spend a penny to do a regular DVD backup. I like the bells and whistles, so I have a bunch of the retail programs, but I still rely on some of the freeware when the retail gets into trouble.