1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before I go delving in trying to fix my PS2...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by teggy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. teggy

teggy Regular member

Ok I backed up midnight club 3, I use the slide tool. When pushing the tray in after putting the backup in, I may have pushed a little too hard. Hard enough for the laser to attempt to load the disc. But I only realised this after inserting the slide card and hearing whirring and still went ahead with it. Hence I got the pink border.

Now nothing works, DVD's actual games nor swap magic. It just takes me to the screen where u choose browser and setup. With the lights spinning around. I don't get a please insert a ps2/ps1 format disc red screen error. But the disc does whir a little, and it attempts to load as I hear the drive going... but it doesn't load.

I just want to check is that almost certainly a laser problem? As I recall a thread from a while back where a fellow inserted the slide card whilst the laser was loading the disc and he broke his ps2 :S

So if I have broke it that way, is it repairable or is a new PS2 in order.

If I need a new one, I might get a slimline one. How easy is it to use swap magic on those? And how compatible is the slimline(V12 I think???) with Swap Magic DVD2.0?

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

take the ps2 apart and try using the ps2 that, see what ps2's mechanism is doing. see if it's stuck or see if the laser does come on or if it dead. In this case you could replace the laser pretty easily make sure the laser is sliding on the rails properly too and check the surface of the laser for scratches and or damage.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

I would check things out like stated above, could just be a minor problem with something being out of alignment. I would not think that a slide card could burn out your laser.

And if you do decide to get a new Slim PSTwo you may want to check out a pre-modded system and get rid of swapping for good.
    http://www.xmodd.com
    the DMS4 Pro chip is great. But to answer the question it is no harder to use swap magic with the slim as it was with the older models. You just need to get a replacemnet flip top or a slimtool.

4. teggy

teggy Regular member

Thanks very much guys, much appreciated :)

5. steimy

steimy Active member

teggy, go to my page, click on the last icon of the notepad type thing and go to the tutorial section. I found a really great guide for fixing PS2's. It has instructions and good pictures
    http://home.earthlink.net/~moderator/