1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner, need a little help???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cmags, Jan 25, 2005.

1. cmags

cmags Member

just got a new computer with philps 8163 dvd burner and would like to start copying some movies. i have read through the forums/guides and think i got the idea but just had a few more questions.
    -dvd shrink(which is free) will rip the movie and compress onto my harddrive. how often should i delete the stored movie files?? how often should i defragment?
    - once the movie is on my harddrive i could use nero which sinks with shrink to burn the movie. after the trial of nero is it worth the purchase? i have sonic record now/my dvd can i use that instead?
    -instead of nero i could use dvd decryptor to burn the movie(which is free and also sinks well with shrink). decryptor also can rip the movie first then burn it. why not use just this program instead of shrink/decryptor? does shrink make a better copy of the movie? quality? speed?
    -i could also use a pay program like 1click or clone with anydvd or dvd43(for encryption) why use a pay program over something thats free? is it that much easier? quality? speed?
    any comments or suggestions will be very helpful, thanks all these forums are great.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Decrypter can rip but cannot compress the video to fit those single layer blanks.

Deleting the files is kind of a "whenever you want to" type of thing. But my theory is, if you don't need it, get rid of it. Defragging should be done at least weekly in my opinion. I know some who do it daily.

As your experience grows, you may want to have more "control" of your backups and the things you do with them. There are pay programs that offer different things. But some people stay satisfied with the free programs.