1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginning To Backup Games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by kansas, Mar 21, 2005.

1. kansas

kansas Member

Ok, I've been reading as much as possible on these forums on backup up PC games. I'm pretty sure I've got a decent idea of how it all goes down and what not, but I still have a few questions. For one, I understand that for a successful copy a burner must be EFM capable, does that mean an EFM capable DVD burner will also be EFM capable for burning a CD? Second, if I'm reading from a generic brand DVD writer/reader and then writing with a good EFM capable one, will my success rate be lowered? Off the top of my head those are the main questions. Sorry if these have been asked before, but I've done a thorough amount of searching and reading, and sorry if I'm in the wrong forum.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to AfterDawn :)

3. kansas

kansas Member

Thought of some more questions, wooo!!! ;-) I've read that certain programs are best/better for backing up the different game protections. All of the lists of which programs for which protection seem to be outdated by a few years or so. As of right now, in general, which programs are best for which protections? Also, what would be a good EFM capable DVD burner for a reasonable amount of money, say, no more than $50?

4. Nephilim

Many of the lists are indeed outdated. Here's my personal thoughts on apps:

BlindWrite is by far my favorite. It's strong suit is SecuROM and with it I've backed up SecuROM up to 5.03 and SafeDisc up to 3.20. When SafeDisc 3.20.022 was released I had to turn to BW 4.57 which made a beautiful copy.

Alcohol 120% is very popular because it does SafeDisc very well and also feautures emulation options for the games that refuse to run on their own. I have it but and test with it really only use it to copy audio CDs since BlindWrite has always given me better copies that verify much quicker. A120 also gives you virtual drives but again, I like another app better for that - namely Daemon Tools.

CloneCD has been around a very long time and in days gone by was the absolute king. Unfortunately it's notoriety also made it a favorite target of the protection makers so many games will refuse to run if it detects Clone on your system.

All three have fully functional trial versions so I'd recommend giving each one a whirl to see which you like the best :)

5. Nephilim

Whoops! I forgot to recommend a DVD burner :p

There aren't many DVD burners that are EFM capable and I don't think any of them go for less than $50. I know the old Lite On 4xx and 8xx series were good but they're no longer made. The Plextor PX- 708A and 712A were very good too - I've used my 708A to make great backups. Another member here, geestar20, has used his Pioneer 108 and 109 to make good working copies so those would be another option.

If you're serious about backing up PC games and have the space a good CD burner can't be beat for the money. The Lite On 52327S and Asus 5232AS are both very fine CD burners that go for around $30 apiece.

6. Omegand

Omegand Member

Definitely spend the money if you do mucho copying and get the Plextor. I have the Premium and the 708A. Flawless performance. Way above the older Richo and Yamaha drives I had. Game and movie backups run well. Media plays a very important role especially during playback on DVD players. Still a mystery I'm waiting to see solved.
    [​IMG]

7. kansas

kansas Member

What about a burner that would be capable of dual layer DVD writing? If I buy a new drive I want it to be slightly future proof.

8. Nephilim

geestar20 has reported success with his Pioneer 109 which is a DL DVD burner :)

9. Omegand

Omegand Member

I would wait on a Dual Layer purchase. That’s just me. Still seeing where the Blue Ray vs. HD DVD media competition will turn. As far as Dual Layer is concerned, waiting for the price to come down to reality is the only issue. DL Media is still WAY overpriced which pushes DVD Shrink usability even higher.
    [​IMG]

10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-kansas-
    Nothing is future proof but as -Nephilim- has stated, I do have nothing but success in beating the latest Safedisc and Securom protections with my trusty Pioneer 109.

@-Nephilim-

I backed up StarWars Republic Commando with ease. Protection is SecuROM 5.03.13.0049 using Alcohol and my Pioneer DVR-109....Its collecting dust waiting :)

@-Omegand-

Im sure it will be a hell of alot more than dual layer media.
    what do you think a 25gb media will cost??
    The price is coming down slowly but surely.

BTW we are talking about backing up PC games and which burner is able to make these backups not how expensive the media is ;)

11. Omegand

Omegand Member

This was only a reference. I'm an HD fan. Only worth the comparison. Of course like all else, when it comes out it will be pricey. And like all else as it becomes more popular the price will drop.

It's nice to mingle a bit :)
    [​IMG]

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

So how are you -Omegand-? where do you come from? I like your sig, who made it?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  13. Omegand

Omegand Member

Hello to you Mr. Geestar. I'm good and thanks for asking. I live in South Florida. Yourself?

As far as my sig, I made it using the most amazing text tool by Xara. Still a work in progress and will be updated once I FTP to my website. I did the same on my website several versions ago. The signature seems more popular on the gaming boards I chat on once in awhile, more so then here. Just as an FYI, OmegaMan was a name I have used since the old BBS boards in the 80’s where revealing you real name was “taboo”.
    [​IMG]

14. kansas

kansas Member

Ok, well that answers pretty much all of my questions. However, since I have all of your guys's attention I might as well as a couple more :) I know that on certain games you can still make a "working" backup w/o an EFM capable burner, And that it works through emulation. What exactly is emulation and why is not preferential in making backups?

15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

If your burner cannot make a true backup (mainly with securom) using Alcohol, then your image will physically tell you "NEED EMULATION"

What EMULATION does is bridge the gap that your burner could not write back onto the cd-r.

16. Nephilim

As far as what I write a 'working' backup is one that works exactly like the original with no emulation needed. A working copy is preferable since it doesn't require you to have any other sort of software on your system to help it run.

When you first start a PC game there is an exchange or handshake if you will between the protection on the disc and the protection files residing on your hard drive. If you have a working copy the handshake is successful and you play your game. If the copy isn't good enough to pass the handshake then you need emulation which simply helps the copy pass the handshake :)

17. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

There you go -kansas-... A perfect example of what Emulation does.

I need to have this definition on notepad or somthing.