1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Wireless Router help, please? =(

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SkyValor, Jul 12, 2007.

1. SkyValor

SkyValor Member

Yes, it's true, I was unfortunately not intelligable enough in the area of Wireless Routers to get myself a better one. I do, however, own a Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB Router...

All in all it works rather well considering all the bad mouthing I've heard about Belkin company. The problem isn't really getting the Router to work. It was properly installed and set-up by a so called IT Expert, however...

At the bottom right hand side of my computer, when I go into the screen that shows me my Network Connections, from time to time I find the list swamped full of names and connections that were never set up or that I have no idea about... It's become much more frequent nowadays and more and more SSID's keep appearing and connections being established, or so I'm guessing, and the problem lies herein.

Before, when there was only 1 connection that would appear, my own connection, the amount of speed and data received/sent would range pretty evenly, when doing things on the net. For instance, downloading a file or playing an Online game. However, more recently, when these SSID's began to appear, my connection has slowed dramatically, and sometimes to the point where I can't do a damn thing, or I just keep getting cut off from my own connection.

I've searched around but I can't seem to find much help or support from BELKIN or much else from the internet itself. I'm not very good at searching out information on the net... Go figure... So I was wondering if someone could help me?

The only things I've been told were - Those connections come from other routers nearby because the signals are mixing and causing a problem
    and - Someone is stealing your -Bandwidth- and using your internet connection from somewhere else.
    Also, I was told the Router was CLOSED or so and it's been Encrypted with a WEP - Hex Key or something.

If anyone thinks they can help, please do so ASAP!!! This is really getting annoying and I figure sooner or later I won't be able to use my own damn Wireless Router in my own house!

Thanks a bunch.

2. graffgarr

graffgarr Guest

I have the same issue... Picked this router up as a temporary one, had it for about 2 weeks, it is useless to me. The first day, it was working perfect.. now, It just connects, and that is all I can do.

3. ecknight

ecknight Regular member

to see if it is encrypted go to a command prompt (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt) then type ipconfig this will give you your ip and subnet mask and default gateway enter the default gateway address into a web browser and it will take you to you router settings and from there you can go to the securities tab or the wireless tab and make sure that it is indeed encrypted if it is encrypted no one else can use your connection as for all the other connections they don't mean anything except you could connect to them if they aren't encrypted just dont forget that if your using a cable line its a shared connection and the more people on the slower your speeds will be