1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1655 lightscribe?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juliano, Dec 22, 2005.

1. juliano

juliano Member

yeah, I saw that also. has some sort of green band running horizontally across the face plate.... Looks nice....when I ordered mine, it also showed that same picture, but of course it arrived with the dull one....Not an issue, its just asthetics anyway....

2. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...
    The site is showing the Qsuite software on the same page as the burner.

Has anyone ordered the retail version and have gotten the QSuite included?

The OEM only comes with Nero.

H.

3. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Mine came with the Qsuite. I didn't install it.

4. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

I have the retail one on order (as you know lol) and its supposed to be the one with the green band (not bothered) and also the QSuite....

Why would I not want to install the QSuite ? When I read up about the drive it seemed like a nice addition to the Retail package.

Regards

5. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  6. hmeister

hmeister Member

72 and everyone else;

I am wondering too about the QSuite. I got mine when I ordered the dq60 which I returned. I never got QSuite in the OEM. I have the disk but have not bothered to use it.

Is QSuite of any benefit? What does it offer? Anyone use it yet?

thx...

H.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  7. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

A quick search on other forums and I found this...

"QSuite lets you erase the Solidburn memory , change how the booktype works permanently, lets you set overspeed, manual use of Solidburn"

I am sure there is more to find but I am at work at the mo....

8. juliano

juliano Member

Hey gang.

Can someone briefly tell me how to use the lightscribe? If I copy the label on my original DVD, do I copy it in color or Black and white? Which would be the best to then scribe to the copy?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

10. beltline

beltline Regular member

I just got my DW1655 and installed it. I installed the Qsuite. I noticed when I was installing it that I smelled a burning smell. I hadn't hooked up any wires yet. I smelled the back of the DW1655 and it smelled like it was coming from it. Figured I had already opened the box so I installed it. Getting ready to test it, but I noticed that if there is a (blank) dvd in it, the green light is always on. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

beltline

My BenQ1640 does the same thing, (green light on always with media in the tray.)

12. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

It doesn't matter if the image is color or black and white. I usually just do a google image search to find the DVD label and use that image to make my disk label-select a picture that is decent sized - it doesn't look as good if you try to stretch a 100x100 pixel image over a DVD (600x600 works good). Then just stretch the label to cover the disk and play with it to get it to look the way you want, then go to the lightscribe preview and it will show you what the image will look like in grayscale. If you like it after previewing it, burn it. If not try different covers.

I've only burned about 10 covers, so some others may have tips better than mine.

13. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

The green light is always on when there is a disk in the drive. If the drive is running the light blinks. If it is empty, there is no green light. This is the way it was designed, it is not a malfunction.

As for your burning smell, I haven't the slightest clue, but it couldn't be burning unless it had power to it. If you plug it in and it works, I would keep it. If you plug it in and it catches fire, I would call 911 but that's just me - I'm a fireman.

Keep us posted :)

14. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

Re burning smell I work in a big box retail store stocking shelfs . I have noticed that many plastic products have a burning smokey smell to them when I first take them out of the box . This is just left over from the manufacturing process .

15. beltline

beltline Regular member

Thanks, it's working so I'm not going to fret over it. I would of been a little more nervous had the box not been sealed. Got to say so far I am very happy with it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  16. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

I think mine is being delivered today !!! Woohoo - was a bit disappointed it didn't appear on friday but I have been doing some disc tests and it gave me time to finish them up with my old NEC2510 before I swap it out for the BenQ !

17. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

I got my 1655 in today! I'm excited to get home from work and put it in. One thing I was a little disappointed in though - the retail box. I bought the retail box over the OEM ($10 difference on NewEgg) because I assumed it was better - came with more stuff. Boy was I disappointed. It came with all of the software bundled on one disc. I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not sure, but you may *have* to install Nero 6 (I own both 6 and 7 full) in order to install the other stuff. I really hope that's not the case. Not only that but it didn't come with any ribbon cable! And just two lousy mounting screws. Bah, I should have saved the $10, downloaded the software separate. I could care less about the one Verbatim 52x Lightscribe CD-R. I bought a 20 pack of DVD+Rs with the drive anyways. Bah, do yourselves a favor - get the OEM pack instead.

18. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...
    You can download the Q suite from Benq from their website. Check the threads on previous messages here on this forum and you will find the link.

Someone else on this board has this link and they might be able to provide it for you. Your existing Nero installs will work fine with the Benq 55'.

Good luck...

Hmeister...

19. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

you do not have to install the Nero that comes with the drive. You will have to install the Lightscribe host software in order to burn lightscribe labels. It is in the Nero on the install disk, but it will allow you to install it without installing Nero.

20. juliano

juliano Member

Hey guys!,

Interesting thing with my 1655. I use the Taiyo-Yuden 4X DVD-R's. No booktyping because of that...I wanted to try and see how they would work, burned at maximum speed. Well, I Got my SAW II Disk and went to town. I set the burn option to burn at MAXIMUM, with Deep Annaylizing turned on. The Beng 1655 burned a 4X Disk at 16X!!! I know most here wouldnt reccommend burning at that speed, but I wanted to test it out. The quality was PERFECT!!! And, best of all, even though the disks are DVD-R's, they work in all my stand alone DVD Players....Imagine that. Before I got the BenQ, DVD-R's wouldnt play in those same DVD Players. I think it may also have something to do with the blank DVD's also. Wasn't using the Taiyo's before. So, since copying SAW II, I have repeated the process 3 more times, with the exact same success, with three different movies. All of the movies copied were Dual Layered disks also, and burned to Single layer DVD-R's ! You can't tell the Original from the Copy! NICE! Just thought I'd let you all know. Gotta love those BenQ Drives!

Process..

1.ANY DVD running in background
    2.DVD FAB Devrypter
    3.DVD Shrink
    4.Burned with Nero, that came with BenQ 1655 Drive.

Some may say this is too long a process, but I have not burned a SINGLE coaster with either DVD-R's or DVD+R's at any speed. And even tested a few leftover Walmart Maxell's...same result...Flawless. Good luck. Happy burning!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006