1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ DVD Drive won't detect any media!

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by viper2007, Jun 15, 2007.

1. viper2007

viper2007 Member

This really puzzles me because it has happened once before and then stopped, but now it has started up again, so I was given advice to upgrade the firmware from G7Z6 or somtething like that to the newer G7P9 firmware. This had no effect and I am still stuck with a drive that can't read a CD or DVD can anyone help or has anyone had this same problem??? Any hint or clue on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any exclamation marks in device manager? i presume both the bios & windows see the drive?

3. viper2007

viper2007 Member

Nope no problems in device manager and it is noticed in the bios.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if not a laptop then try seating the data cable to the drive. try cleaning the laser lens with cd/dvd disk cleaner. try the drive in another computer to see if can read. if have a floppy drive & a win98 or winme bootdisk, see if drive can see a disk to see if it is a hardware issue or software issue. uninstall the drive from device manager & restart windows so windows can load it's driver & maybe read a disk.

5. viper2007

viper2007 Member

I beleive that has worked once before, although now I don't have the boot disk anymore.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

Have you tried "Uninstalling", and reinstalling, through the Device Manager?In case you're not sure how:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

7. viper2007

viper2007 Member

Well thanks for all the suggestions, but none of them worked so I went out and got a LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM, because I have had this problem off and on.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. masest

masest Member

I got similar problem with my drive too. Mine is LG 4167B and at first it cannot read or write with DVD-R disk and now it cannot read any DVD or CD. Would really like to know what cause it as buying a new one is easy and cheap these days, but who knows when will happen again or even happen to a new drive install to the computer?
    been uninstall the thing and upgrade the firmware, none of them work. Anyone know what causes this and how to solve it? pls help on it thanks