1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BENQ dvd-r (100 pack)

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by daveski, Dec 28, 2004.

1. daveski

daveski Member

my friend purchased a 100 pack of BenQ 4x Dvd-Rs from Future Shop (Canadian store only??) a few days ago. He's trying to sell me 50 dvd-rs for 20 bucks. i was wondering if these BenQ brand dvd-rs are somewhat decent, im new to the dvd burning scene. thanks

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

They are still available. 25 spindle for $10, 50 spindle for $19, 100 spindle for $35 and 200 pak for $60. See the link:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&catid=12501

I got a 100 spindle of both the DVD-R and DVD+R on boxing day. I did use them last summer and they are OK. I am not sure I will keep them however. If I do, I may use them for other video projects and not for my movie backups.

I can only say try not to burn too close to the edge. I would custom set the target size for the DVD at 4200. I found when burned to 4400 the DVD would not play and was full of errors when analized.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  3. daveski

daveski Member

thanks alot for the info, i'll keep that in mind. i'll test one on his DVD burner and see if maybe i want to try a different type of DVD-rs or +rs. Any reccomendations?

4. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

For my movie backups I personally use Maxell. They are quality media and consistant. They are onsale all the time.

25 pak spindle on sale for $20 at FutureShop now.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/su...=&logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&sort=1&page=3&list=

Last week FutureShop and Best Buy in Canada had the 50 pak sindle was onsale for $30 as I purchased 2.

With these I set my custom DVD target size to 4300 and they burn just fine and play back flawlessly.

In general keep away from Memorex they are not consistant in quality or manufacturer which is the consensus amoung users here.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  5. daveski

daveski Member

thanks again, looks like i'll be making a trip to future shop tonight. i just dont want to deal with annoying problems in the future, so i'll just take your word for it and go for the Maxell's.

6. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

7. daveski

daveski Member

after using these BENQ DVD-Rs for a week, I determined that they're actually pretty decent. i do experience problems at the edge of the disk however, so i have to set it to not burn past 4200

8. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I experienced the same burn too close to edge problems as you did. Other disc I can set target to 4300. With these I agree with setting it to 4200.

But still good buy for the price.

9. mrman

mrman Regular member

iv burned tons of both the dvd+r and dvd-r benQ discs and i have my shrink set to 4464megs.Havnt had any problems with these settings at all. Only slight problem for me is the -r"s only burn at 2x because my lg 4040B is picky at what it will let me burn at 4X. The +r's burn fine at 4X though. I will continue to buy benQ media im very happy with the quality and especially the price.

10. dbennion

dbennion Member

I ordered two units of the 200-packs after first trying the 4X BenQ which seems like very solid media with a good Nero Quality score. They are made by Daxon, a Nero company (I think).

Today the first shipment arrived and they were 8X disks (labelled as such), not 4X. They burned flawlessly at 16X on my burner, again with Nero scores in the 90's. They played flawlessly on three players.

At $0.30 each, if the second shipment is also 8X, I might have to order another unit or two.

11. nscotian

nscotian Guest

I have been using the BenQ +r for most of my burns.
    I have done about 400 now and have had only 2 or 3 failures. One of these I'm pretty sure was related ot a power flicker in my area that occurred buring the burn process. The pc did not reboout, but the lights in the house definetly flickered.

I do most of my backups using shrink and nero 6, but I have been doing them a little differently than from what I hear most people do.

I usually set my start and end points using the re-author method, and back them up with the compression setting set to "no compression".

Then I let nero analyse the file and and do a deep process on it and let nero do the compression to fit to disc.