1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ DW1640 : What is max write speed? Need Firmware?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mossfan18, Feb 23, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I bought a BenQ DVD DD DW1640 from Newegg.com a few years ago, I have never downloaded new firmware, when making a copy I have always had my write speed settings at 4x on DVD Decrypter, never any faster. My question is, can I write at the available 16x speed, or would it damage the quality.

Is there new Firmware for the BenQ DW1640 that I should download to improve speed and overall quality?

Thank You, JR

2. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    Two things what is current f/w. The most popular is probably BSLB.
    What media? If good 16x (Verbatim/TY) then while you'll get away with 16x. 12x is more consistant. Certainly no need to go lower than 8x.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

5. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Thanks guys! Another question: What exactly will the new F/W do to benefit my 1640 that hasn't ever been upgraded?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Firmware controls the writing strategy. Especially now that most of the 4x media is extinct,8x is almost there-so that leaves 16x as the most common media out there-so older firmware versions may have trouble recognizing newer 16x media.

If you switch brands or batches of media and get a no disc error when it's suppose to be burning-usually the firmware needs updated.It can also help out for playback issues-giving a better burn.

Here's qsuite. It's a very nice program for Benq drives. It features booktyping,qscan,solidburn,overburn protection,and WOPC:

qsuite 2.0 and 2.2:
    http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

The Benq 1640 is among benq's finest. You gotta watch out for how you burn the faster media like verbatim 16x. Keep the burn speed at around 8x with verbatim and taiyo yuden media. 12x should be no problem. For 16x burning,make sure your stand alone player/s have no playback issues with them before you burn a ton of backups.

BTW: These Q's are booktyping machines. If you encounter any stand alone players that give a no disc,wrong format,wrong region,dirty disc,or illegal disc: Booktyping the plus format to dvd-rom should fix that issue. Higher stand alone compatability after you booktype the plus format to dvd-rom.

7. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Thanks, I got one last question ; I'm using Taiyo Yuden Valueline 4.7GB 4X DVD-R Media and I like it a lot. But is the 4X much to slow?

Do I need to buy TY 8X or higher?

8. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I thought I had only 1 more question, but it looks like I have another.

On the F/W updates, their are many different versions, such as
    ( BSRB )( BSQB )( BSPB ) et cetera.

How do I know which version to download? When I run Nero Info Tool it says my 1640 is a BSJB version. I didn't see a recent BJSB firmware upgrade on the site. What to do?

9. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  10. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

The firmware versions are incremental improvements/changes in the writing strategies. For example you have BSJB version on your 1640, the next firmware change or build to improve write strategies was BSHB and then BSIB etc etc etc until they finally reached BSRB the last firmware change for the 1640.

Which firmware do you use? Many will say the latest, in your case BSRB since it has the most improved writing strategy to handle the latest media up to the time of course the firmware was released.

However, the most popular is BSLB as it appears to get the beter quality scans in comparison to the other firmware versions.

However the choice is yours, it doesn't hurt to download firmware, test it out, then later download another firmware version and test it out etc etc. Then you choose which you think is better.

Presently I am using BSLB on my 1640 and like it...