1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq, then BenQ, then Sony, then Benq

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dbennion, Nov 27, 2004.

1. dbennion

dbennion Member

The Benq 16X DL 1620 was on sale for $90 Canadian here in Toronto, so I went for it. Flashed it with the latest firmware, and it worked like a dream, so well in fact that I decided to get a second one for my son's computer.

Oops. THIS one gave me problems. The two platforms are identical, and I've been making DVD backups for a couple of years, so I know all the tricks. Why would one work, and one not? This second drive could not burn a -R blank that any of my four players would recognize. Back it went.

Now I'm nervous about a 2nd BenQ. There happened to be a Sony 715? DL 16X (only 8X for -R) on sale for the same price so I decided to try that. The burns were OK to play on my set-top players, but the weird thing is, the Sony drive would not play the backup! It wouldn't even recognize there was a DVD in the drive. Same with my laptop! Same with another computer! The Sony was producing -R backups that would play on set-top players, but not on computer drives. What is that all about? I'm using quality 4X Maxell blanks.

Anyway now the Sony (Lite-On I guess) is making me nervous, so I return it. On the way, I decided to pick up a third BenQ to try my luck. It worked fine, like the first one.

So the way I figure it, the BenQ is batting 0.667 and the Sony 0.000.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

so the gist of your post is ... you got a bad benq drive? It happens.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  3. dbennion

dbennion Member

Apparently. One bad one in three Benq attempts is a poor showing, and one bad "Sony" in one try is worse. And I knew what I was doing, which many or most buyers might not. So maybe the gist is this is a very cranky spotty error-prone consumer product at this point. Or maybe I don't know what the gist was, it just seemed like a lot of work to get a couple of working drives.