1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bent & Beat Up CPU

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by jo15765, Feb 27, 2014.

1. jo15765

jo15765 Newbie

I am getting RROD and the secondary error code of 0022. I literally JUST had the CPU & GPU replaced roughly 10 days ago. Could they just be faulty, and I should replace both of them, or could it be bc the CPU heatsink looks like someone wasn't careful when it was installed and a screwdriver or something slid between a few of the shafts.

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

0022 Error code refers to the gpu overheating,Try turning the screws in small increments on the heatsinks as the may be too tight and not displacing heat properly.

3. jo15765

jo15765 Newbie

How "tight" should the screws be? I.E. How do I know when too loose is?

4. richietea

richietea Regular member

Trial and error.Some people make the mistake of been too tight not letting the thermal compound do its job properly also bending/warping the board.

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

apparently hard drive screws require a specific torque setting done with a torque screw driver,do a google search and see if the gpu is the same.
    actually not sure how much a torque screwdriver would costs,i've only used a torque wrench on cars myself.

6. jo15765

jo15765 Newbie

I loosened the screws and now am getting an error code of 0102. What does this one mean and what to do to fix it?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. richietea

richietea Regular member

If you are you getting the secondary error code 0102 it could be related to the southbridge area of the mobo but there is contention between this and cold solder joints.Most people try to do a reflow but end up using a heatgun and melting components due to timing and displacement of the heat from the gun.Some people do the oven trick and bake the mobo to repair cold/cracked solder.Some work,some don't.I cannot guarantee the success rate of either or recommend.It is entirely at your desecration.But i would research all options first.

9. jo15765

jo15765 Newbie

I didn't realize how in depth/difficult it is to reflow/replace the Southbridge. Would I be better off just getting a new/used XBOX 360?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Would I be better off just getting a new/used XBOX 360?[/quote]

Yes. I would say the reballing wasn't very successful in the first place, so just get a used working Xbox 360.

11. jo15765

jo15765 Newbie

Yes. I would say the reballing wasn't very successful in the first place, so just get a used working Xbox 360.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I will look for a used working one.

One afterthought I just did a XClamp repair kit & cleaned chips etc etc. Now (the xbox is still disassembled at this point) when I plug in the power chord and turn on, the center light just flashes. I never get the 4 Green lights, nor do I get a Red Ring sequence.

What could this mean?

EDIT--
    And by disassembled I mean the power chord into the back of the mobo and the on/off button plugged into the mobo NOTHING else attached.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014