1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best and most affordable modchip for PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xakuma, Jan 2, 2004.

1. xakuma

xakuma Member

I am looking for a modchip for the PS2 that will play all backups of PS2 games on DVD-R; other features are okay but not necessary. I also want it to be upgradable so that I do not have to buy another one. What is the cheapest modchip that will do this for me, and approximately how much would it cost with a professional installation?

2. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold]right now, i think the only chip that is upgradeable is dms3, but its pretty expensive. i suggest you gettin a magic v. and i think the cost on the installation depends on what chip it is. i got my magic 3.1 installed for $65 and thats really cheap for what i know.

3. xakuma

xakuma Member

I was looking at the DMS3, and it definitely is expensive. The cheapest I can get it is $110 installed. From what I understand, the Magic V can't be upgraded. Will it be able to play future games until some new protection is implemented, or is it like GameShark where it only works with games that are in its database? How long can I expect it to be able to play new PS2 games?

4. xakuma

xakuma Member

Also, if I get a DMS3, do you think the flash upgrades will always allow me to play new games, since they will be able to upgrade the chip to work with them? From the prices I have, I can get the DMS3 for $30 more, and since I'm splitting the cost with my brother it's only $15 more for me.