1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Audio CD Image Creation Program

Discussion in 'Audio' started by alxdotnet, Oct 22, 2003.

1. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Hey all. I want a program (freeware if at all possible) that will make audio CD images in ISO from mp3 files. Any suggestions? Thanks. -Alex

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

One possibility: Use Nero as if you would burn an audio CD from mp3 files but select "Image Recorder" instead of your Burner. That way you get an .nrg image that can be converted to .iso using e.g. WinISO.

May I ask why you want to create these ISO files? Maybe there's a better/easier/'free-er' way to get what you want ...

3. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Reason is kinda weird: but I'm trying to let my little sister make audio cd images on her computer, which i can then burn later on mine.

4. tigre

And the source are mp3 files - or do you want to copy CDs using 2 PCs? How do you get the images from her PC to yours?

I think you should rather use something like playlist files (e.g. .m3u) or Cue Sheets for this - that way you can still use mp3 files for transfer PC -> PC and save time/space.

5. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Sorry for the confusion--Audio files are stored in mp3 format on a home network, which will also be used to transfer images.
    --
    If you know a good program to convert an m3u list to an audio cd that would be even better._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Comp 1: Dell Inspiron P4 2.4Ghz / 512 MB RAM
    Comp 2: Dell Dimension P3 550Mhz / 384MB RAM[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2003
  6. tigre

2 Possibilities:

1. AFAIK Feurio can burn audio CDs from playlists directly.

2. With foobar2000's diskwriting feature (http://foobar2000.org/) you can decompress all files from a playlist to a given directory with user-defined filenames. In a 2nd step you can burn the .wav files using any burning software.

I'd use the 2nd one because foobar2000 has built-in replaygain feature that helps to avoid clipping and/or to make all tracks of a compilation sound equally loud - and nothing decodes at higher quality.

7. tigre

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  8. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Do any of these programs support commandline image generation from m3u lists? The help is much appreciated. -Alex

9. tigre

I don't know. I thought you can use .m3u lists instead of image files, as the mp3s are available in your home network. So you just need to save a playlist with the songs you want to put on CD and load this playlist on your 'burning PC' into burrrn - and burn. No need to create images ...

10. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

If only it were that simple. The computer that I want my sister to be able to create CDs on does not have a burner installed (and probably couldn't handle one anyway, seeing as how it's a 400mhz PIII.) My solution was to have her create image files, which could then be sent across the network to be burned. However, she could just as easily create a playlist to send instead, the only problem is I need a command line program to take that playlist and burn a CD from it.

11. tigre

Why does it have to be commandline?

12. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Commandline or easily scripted/controlled by keyboard. I will program an application that will create the m3u list from the mp3 files, send it over the network, and invoke a commandline program on the other machine to burn the files. In reality, all I need is a program to take WAV files and burn them to audio cd, unless I'm lucky and you happen to know how to do this directly?

13. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Hey, I think I found a way!
    How about:
    On Non-Burning Computer
    1) m3u playlist creation using a VB.NET program
    2) Program transmits playlist to server across network
    On Burning Computer
    1) Server receives playlist, invokes LAME to decompress tracks temporarily to WAV
    2) Server invokes CDRWin to burn WAV to audio CD

This just might work! If it does I will post the programs to the AfterDawn download center!

14. tigre

cdrdao is the commandline core of Burrrn (and some other free audio CD burning tools). It's available here: http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/index.html

I don't know if there's a commandline program that uses cdrdao AND is capable of mp3 decoding and playlist support. I know that there's at least one other burning program using cdrdao, but I don't know the name ATM. The best place to get help would be http://www.hydrogenaudio.org, but it's offline ATM. You might want to ask on #hydrogenaudio on the irc.freenode.org server.

15. tigre

I don't know how flexible CDRWin is, but If you're capable of programming this stuff, I'm pretty sure you'll like CDRDAO. The way you want to do this probably works ...

16. tigre